IIoT

Now if you really what to understand MQTT you can talk with Mr. Arlen Nippers from Cirrus Link (He is the Co-Inventor) of MQTT. About 2 years ago he helped me to understand this new protocol, and that's why I am where I'm at today.
Does Mr. Nippers have an app note or a power point that explains MQTT so he doesn't have to do one-on-ones to get the word out?

Tom Jenkins - I work with MQTT every day, and there are device's that have this feature built-in. I realize it's not the only part of IOT/IIOT but it does/will play a BIG part in this new world.

I also don't work in the "PLANT" environment, I work in the oilfields, where we use this protocol to communicate all of our data from the REMOTE units(which are in 7 states) back to the SCADA server(Ignition).

Now if you really what to understand MQTT you can talk with Mr. Arlen Nippers from Cirrus Link (He is the Co-Inventor) of MQTT. About 2 years ago he helped me to understand this new protocol, and that's why I am where I'm at today.

As always this is just my 2 cents worth.

Everyone have a GREAT day!!

Communicating remotely has been going on in Oil and Gas since the beginning. It used to be expensive to communicate remotely, but with cellular being so widespread, and data plans getting cheaper and cheaper, the benefits of MQTT fall down to just 2 things. Massive amounts of data and report by exception. With Ignition, I have developed scripts and windows to create 10's of 1000's of tags in a matter of minutes. If I am using a edge gateway, I must not create those tags in the gateway, which are then populated in Ignition thru MQTT. So now I have moved my really simple process in the office, to a device in the field.

Im just not sold on it yet.