S7-1500 CPU troubles

poninskib

Old job-All AB...
New Job-All Siemens...

The idea is to take a new S7-1500 CPU and create a "ready to swap" backup for one of my machines. Had this been anything AB related Id have been done in 30 min. But thats no longer an option. Running TIA Portal V13, both CPUs are 6es7516-3an01-0ab0. New one is V2.5 old isV1.8. According to siemens docs I should be able to do this even with the FW version difference.

I go to running machine, upload to my PC, check for differences. Then take the same PC up to my bench to download. Set new device up as a visible device, already did a factory reset and format memory. Go to online file of running CPU, click download. Message board shows up with a security message (ignored) and a message about the FW version difference, which again according to Siemens, I should be able to ignore. Click load....and it fails. Immediately....from what I can see it is setting the LAN and Profinet port settings on the new CPU during this brief moment before failure.

Coming here to see if you can help because Im at witts end, youtube is no help and Siemens is dragging their feet. Ill try to attach some pics of the PC messages.

Not sure but can you use a memory card? load the program on the card and let the new CPU read the program, I THINK it will just read the blocks

When you're changing the IP address of a PLC, if the subnet is changing then it will download the first part (network config) and then fail as that takes hold. You reconnect and do the download again for the rest of it. It's usually straightforward enough, although why they can't anticipate the failed connection from the IP change I have no idea.

HOWEVER, spare part swaps should be pretty trivial. You shouldn't need a ready to swap backup with program loaded in. If the CPU fails, you should be able to simply take the memory card out of the failed CPU, and put it in the spare. Even with the FW difference, it shouldn't require you to get your computer out for anything.

Unless I mis-understand?

Not sure but can you use a memory card? load the program on the card and let the new CPU read the program, I THINK it will just read the blocks
I believe it will work.

It says so indirectly, for the CPU parameter "Comparison preset to actual configuration", if set to "Startup of the CPU only if compatible" it will start even if the firmware is different, it just has to be higher. From the help text:
Example for the "Startup CPU only if compatible" setting:
A CPU can be a compatible replacement for a CPU of the same type with a lower firmware version.

Message board shows up with a security message (ignored) and a message about the FW version difference, which again according to Siemens, I should be able to ignore.
Not if the firmware of the CPU on your bench is lower than the upladed program you want to load.

If that is the case, the best solution is to upgrade the firmware on the CPU.
Alternatively you can downgrade the firmware version in the offline project, but that is not recommended.

When you're changing the IP address of a PLC, if the subnet is changing then it will download the first part (network config) and then fail as that takes hold. You reconnect and do the download again for the rest of it. It's usually straightforward enough, although why they can't anticipate the failed connection from the IP change I have no idea.

HOWEVER, spare part swaps should be pretty trivial. You shouldn't need a ready to swap backup with program loaded in. If the CPU fails, you should be able to simply take the memory card out of the failed CPU, and put it in the spare. Even with the FW difference, it shouldn't require you to get your computer out for anything.

Unless I mis-understand?

Youre onto something. Once I did it a second time I got the HW config to load without failing. Working on the SW blocks now. I told my boss the same thing about the card...but he said do it anyways.

Also, the reason Ive been tasked with this in the first place is the machine has had some intermittent connection issues this past week. They think it has to do with one of the PN ports failing. So im pretty sure once I get this done, they will want it changed out.

Also, the reason Ive been tasked with this in the first place is the machine has had some intermittent connection issues this past week. They think it has to do with one of the PN ports failing. So im pretty sure once I get this done, they will want it changed out.

I've never heard of a PN port failing on one of those, unless it was damaged somehow (ripping the Ethernet cable out instead of removing it normally, etc). It's POSSIBLE the port is bad, but I'd verify that the network & cable are solid first.

If it is X1 that is failing, is it both ports ?
If topology is not fixed, you can try to move or swap the connected cable(s).

We use all 3 ports, if I swap the cables in X1A and X1B the issue moves along with it. One is used for inner-circuit comms and the other is used for data collection for the customer. Its very intermittent, like once a week