RSLogix5000 Hex Int to ASCII

WPI-Wesley

Hey,
i've been working on getting some add-on instructions defaulted in the company i work in. i am currently trying to create a string which shows the status of a connected module.
the status is shown in a HexInt ex.: 16#4000
in this case 16#4000 = Connected and ready.
i compare the status with that value, and if 16#4000 is true, i write "Connected" to a status string.

whenever the value is not 16#4000 i want to write that actual status into a string. as Rockwell uses these hex codes in all of their manuals, so the costumer can easily troubleshoot why the module is not communicating.

when i want to write one of these error states: ex.: 16#0000
i want the string to show 16#4000.
i tried the COP or DTOS commands.
COP comes up with a string i dont even know the size of.
DTOS shows: 4096.

how do i get the string to show the actual HexInt value of "16#0000"

in the picture you'll see a lot of double names. but that is because it is an Add-On. (instance name comes from an Add-On input. DEST EntryStatus is a local tag)

How many possible statuses are there? If it's not too many, I would just do an EQU for each one and write either the error code as a literal string, or even better the error code description. DTOS is writing the decimal value of the code and I don't believe there is any way for it to write the hex value.

For this particular module not too many.
But i want to make it an all-round instruction for all modules used.
The status i am using is for the connection state to a module inside the PLC network.

+ side of being able to write the codes is that Rockwell support websites and manuals reference to the Hexa codes.

In that case, I would write another AOI/FB that would take a decimal input and output a string with the hex equivalent, though how exactly I'm not positive though I'm sure some googling will turn up the math. I'd guess that this would be a lot easier to do in Structured Text.

Just use the SINT value by itself without converting it to a STRING when retrieving the modules' status.

Use the TOD (Convert to BCD) instruction when you need to 'analyze' the SINT values modules' status depending of the GSV returned hexadecimal value.

I have no experience with the BCD datatype, how exactly do you analize an Int with BCD?

The goal i had was to make a string for the HMI's.
when connection is OK (16#4000) it would show "Connected" as string.
if not, it shows the error code in string format.