Comms question

KingPresident

Setting up messaging/produce-consume tags between a couple plcs. Can I Raw socket the plant network between my 1768-L43s and my 1769-L30er? Or will I require two 1768-ENBT's?

The Ethernet Socket Interface is intended to be used when connecting Logix controllers to Ethernet devices which do not support the EtherNet/IP application protocol.

You definitely do not need Socket Interface to communicate between two Logix CPUs, either implicitly (Produce/Consume) or explicitly (Read/Write Messaging).

As to 'Raw socket' the two controllers to anything on the plant network, only the 1769-L30ER CPU has the capability to do so.

The older L43 CompactLogix will require a connected 1768-EWEB module carrying firmware 4.006 or later in order to acquire Socket Interface capability; the 1768-ENBT Ethernet bridge will not do.

どういたしまして (Doo itashimashite)...:D

Really, you could P/C/Msg all day long between any Logix 5000 controllers on the same ENet subnet (or CNet network) since....Ummm...The first Logix 5000 CPU came out....

Last edited: