Down Rev RS Logix V30 Project

SicknoteX

Hi Everyone,

We're currently developing a new SCADA application for client who has sent us the RSLogix code.

Unfortunately, the programmer has used V30 RS Logix and we only have a license up to V24. We have asked him to down rev it for us but he is claiming that he can't down rev below v29.

In the past, we've been able to down rev some versions of RS Logix by simply opening the code, changing the controller type and selecting a different firmware version.
Is this no possible with v30?

Any thoughts.... Its a bit of a pain to get him to export every program separately.

Thanks

It depends of the controller type.

If the customer's Logix Designer application is using a ControlLogix 5580 L8x controller or a 5069 CompactLogix 5380 CPU the lowest applicable software version is V29 since said controllers do not support firmware revisions lower than 29.

If the customer is using controllers at firmware revision 30 you should use the same software version when developing a connected SCADA application; there are pretty major differences between the L7x and L8x ControlLogix CPUs and, similarly, 5069 CompactLogix 5380 controllers are quite different than the previous (5370) generation.

Thanks for the responses.

Does v30 come with AOI's that aren't available in previous versions?

With regard to the controller type, we're using Wonderware Archestra and have been supplied the necessary Ethernet / IP drivers (from Wonderware) to work on V30. We just need a running program in the office for development of the SCADA. We will commission the new SCADA with the existing one still operational to allow us to configure comms properly.

I understand that the controller type may be preventing the use of some versions / firmware but I was hoping he may be able to just change the controller type to a 5370 which would make the previous revisions available.

It doesn't sound like this is the case

So a new gem that they introduced with the newer versions is once you change a controller to a 5069 controller, you cannot change it to any other controller that is not the new controller architecture.

For example, if you change a project to a L310ER, you can change it to any other 5069 controller, or a L8x ControlLogix controller, but you can not change it to something like a L30ER or a L7x. Even in the same revision.

Of course, you can compare the L5K file differences between these controllers and make the modifications to convert it, but it takes a bit of effort. The 5069 series has the ability to operate as 2 ethernet adapters, which I/O can be placed under each one. You'd have to figure out how to sort that out, or remove it all from the project before attempting to manually convert it to a different controller via the L5K. Opportunity for a huge mess, I don't blame them for not wanting to mess with it.

I assume you want the work, update yours to match the customers.

v24 is a few years out of date now.

We certainly wouldn't supply a customer with a machine / software on something that much out of date, unless it was a specific request.