Stand Alone SCADA by FactoryTalk View

Mray

Hi there,

I need to know how I can make a stand alone run time SCADA application in FTV to run it like an EXE file. Is it possible at all and which type of FTV should be used?

Regards,

No, it's not possible. To run any FTView application, you will need to install software on the client PC.

If a standalone exe-type solution is your primary objective, look into Ignition SCADA.

No, it's not possible. To run any FTView application, you will need to install software on the client PC.

If a standalone exe-type solution is your primary objective, look into Ignition SCADA.
+1 on ignition. I also recommend AdvancedHMI for a standalone app. Ignition is paid software, AdvancedHMI is free.

Only Ignition releases EXE output?

+1 on ignition. I also recommend AdvancedHMI for a standalone app. Ignition is paid software, AdvancedHMI is free.

I have worked with AdvancedHMI. Though it is free and kind of interesting app,its object library is not too complete and lacks of many things. :)

I have worked with AdvancedHMI. Though it is free and kind of interesting app,its object library is not too complete and lacks of many things. :)

Tell me what you think it's missing and I'm sure I'll show you otherwise. The only thing that it really lacks is creating graphics. But there are work arounds. Plus if you follow high performance HMI guidelines, graphics really aren't needed.

However, I'm sure I can give you an app that will immediately fit your needs. It's worth a shot.

Tell me what you think it's missing and I'm sure I'll show you otherwise. The only thing that it really lacks is creating graphics. But there are work arounds. Plus if you follow high performance HMI guidelines, graphics really aren't needed.

However, I'm sure I can give you an app that will immediately fit your needs. It's worth a shot.

We are in the same boat and I enjoy working with AdvancedHMI. The problem is that I can trust it and give it to clients.

We are in the same boat and I enjoy working with AdvancedHMI. The problem is that I can trust it and give it to clients.

I'm guessing you meant to say you can't trust it. Why not? Explain why you think that is and let us try and prove you wrong. We aren't in the same boat, I've deployed it several times and the clients were thrilled.

What he probably means is his client would **** a brick if they knew he sold them something developed from shareware/freeware.

I love AdavancedHMI and have used it for many things, but selling or deploying in a corporate funded project is a no go. I hate that it’s that way, but it’s just that way. An OEM can design a proprietary HMI with their own CIP drivers and package it in an exe, and it’s ok (as long as source code is provided to end user, or an extended support contract through the expected life of project).

What is Archie’s take on using his product to sell to a client?

Also AdvancedHMI is limitless in the VisualStudio environment, the programmer is the only hurdle at that point, IMO.

What is Archie’s take on using his product to sell to a client?
It's no different than using FT, Ignition, Red Lion, C-More, etc. You are not selling the software, you are selling the application you developed. As long as you comply with the license, you have the freedom to sell your applications or use it and save money on software license to make your machine or system more competitively priced.

To MRay…. I'd be interested in hearing why you feel you do not trust it. If it is stability you are concerned about, I know of several multi-million dollar critical lines that depend on it and the operators and managers will tell you the HMI applications are possibly the most dependable part of the line. I even know of 2 large plants where at least 80% of the HMI/SCADA systems are based on AdvancedHMI. Just keep in mind the hardware used is a very important part when it comes to reliability.

Only Ignition releases EXE output?

No, Ignition could not be further from a standalone executable; it's a client/server based system that relies heavily on an SQL server.

But it's browser-launched, so you can do a "zero install" on a client computer, as long as the client computer has Java.

Please explain more of what you're looking for in your HMI software. Are you an OEM, or trying to distribute an HMI with a minimum of installation and licensing effort ?

It's no different than using FT, Ignition, Red Lion, C-More, etc. You are not selling the software, you are selling the application you developed. As long as you comply with the license, you have the freedom to sell your applications or use it and save money on software license to make your machine or system more competitively priced.

To MRay…. I'd be interested in hearing why you feel you do not trust it. If it is stability you are concerned about, I know of several multi-million dollar critical lines that depend on it and the operators and managers will tell you the HMI applications are possibly the most dependable part of the line. I even know of 2 large plants where at least 80% of the HMI/SCADA systems are based on AdvancedHMI. Just keep in mind the hardware used is a very important part when it comes to reliability.
Because I have never used AdvancedHMI for my clients and so, I think some thing might happen later in production. Now it is a good news that you are saying this app is being used in big projects.

So, do you suggest me to use a free version open source visual studio one or purchase the stand-alone ControlLogix/CompactLogix driver?

No, Ignition could not be further from a standalone executable; it's a client/server based system that relies heavily on an SQL server.

But it's browser-launched, so you can do a "zero install" on a client computer, as long as the client computer has Java.

Please explain more of what you're looking for in your HMI software. Are you an OEM, or trying to distribute an HMI with a minimum of installation and licensing effort ?
I got it. Tnx
Though I work for an integrator company and they have most of the licensed software, I need some thing to work with in my personal home lab to test my codes and ideas. I can't afford getting the license of those expensive software and they are gonna cost me an arm an a leg.

Appreciate for any suggestion.

So, do you suggest me to use a free version open source visual studio one or purchase the stand-alone ControlLogix/CompactLogix driver?
AdvancedHMI and the Stand-Alone driver are completely different products.

AdvancedHMI is a complete package with a range of communication drivers and a multitude of components that work with the drivers without the need to write any code.

The stand-alone driver is ONLY a single communication driver used when writing your own code.

The drivers integrated into AdvancedHMI will also allow you to write VB or C# code to access data in a PLC. The MAJOR difference is the license model. AdvancedHMI is based on a GPL model which basically means you must pass the full project source onto the end user and are also required to maintain all original components in the project. While the stand-alone driver can be used in closed source applications that do not require you to pass your project source to the end user.