TI PLC Software Conversion

vel_sathish

Hi,
Its too difficult for me to convert the TI PLC Software into Allen Bradley Software (RS Logix 5000). Can anyone having any conversion software to convert TI PLC Software to RS Logix 5000 or any other format which is compatible with Rockwell Softwares. Please help me in this regard.

With Regrds,
S.Sathish

The two systems are so different from each other. One is the latest offering from AB and one dates back to the 1980's. The instruction sets are not even close to each other, your only choice is to do it the old fashioned way. Start from scratch and do it step by step.

Does your TI program contain any Special Function Programs? SFPGM's are so versatile, that it would be hard for any software package to convert them.

If you have difficulty understanding some of the TI code, post you questions here and either myself or Ken M should be able to help.

Thanks....

Dear Mr.Ken,
Thank You Very Much for your valuable Reply. If I found any difficluties on the Instructions part I will revert back to you.

Regrds,
S.Sathish

Any time I have to do a conversion, no matter what, I just print out the logic of the "From" processor, and start manually duplicating the logic in the "To" processor.

Usually, that shows some hidden problems in the original program anyway, and allows me to take advantage of the differences in instruction sets. Add to that, doing it by hand means you (should) result in human-readable code that is possible to troubleshoot.

I've never seen an 'Automatic Conversion Program' that ended up with maintainable code.

A couple of years ago we asked Rockwell Automation about converting from a TI530 to AB Contrologix. They have software that will do most of the conversion but some of it needs to be done by hand. Since it was a 500 series there was no SFPGM's to worry about. They did a test and the results were favorable according to RA. The cost would have been US$2600 I think. We ended up going to an SI for the project and I believe they are doing it all by hand (not finished so far). No trust is my guess.

I have to agree with Rdrast on the issue of software conversion. I've never yet seen a converter which improves on the original code, or evens maintains the quality. I guess software in this instance is like energy: it can't be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed, and every converter or transformer has conversion losses. (OK, OK, we're not going to start stretching this metaphor to wonder what happens with the effects of software conversion at the Quantum level!)

I'm not suggesting converters will introduce bugs or errors but the final code will certainly not be optimum. You take TI code from a TI environment and shoe-horn it in to an AB environment. What is it now? It's no longer TI code, and it's not code designed from the outset to make best use of AB instructions. It's a b*st*rd, in both senses.

Ken

vel_sathish said:
Hi,
Its too difficult for me to convert the TI PLC Software into Allen Bradley Software (RS Logix 5000). Can anyone having any conversion software to convert TI PLC Software to RS Logix 5000 or any other format which is compatible with Rockwell Softwares. Please help me in this regard.

With Regrds,
S.Sathish

Only way to do it is a rung by rung hand entering code. I have done several TI to Rslogix 5000 conversions. I used the Rslogix5000 tagname capability to give the converted code a 'TI' flavour.

ti_convert.jpg

This way, the oldtimers in a plant used to the TI look, can still understand the Rslogix5000 version