Windows 7 x 64 bit adn Virtual Machine/XP Mode

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a new computer with Windows 7 x 64 bit OS.
It is running really well and have had virtually no problems so far.
The 32 bit mode works really well also for all programs so far installed.
I have installed my Omron CX-One in the main OS as I normally do. It is working fine so far and as the machine will only be used for development I do not have any driver issues at all.It installed in 32 bit mode fine.
It installed in 32 bit mode successfully. It is the only PLC software I will install directly in Windows as it causes no problems at all and fully shuts down when one exits.
I have Windows 7 x 32 bit mode to install on my laptop where 64 bit drivers are not available for communications and there would probably be issues.
I have other PLC software to install and it will be installed in XP Mode - shut down XP Mode and shut down drivers.
No problems with Siemsns, AB and Unity Pro not getting on with each other.
I clicked on 'XP Mode' and set XP up. I then wnet into Users/Bob/AppData/Local/Microsooft/Windows Virtual PC/Virtual Machines and changed the file names (.vhd & .vmc extensions) to Schneider Unity Pro.
Opens and works successfully.
When I click on XP Mode Windows now opens Schneider Unity Pro and does not start a new XP Mode Virtual Machine.
I wish to start a new XP Mode for other bPLC software - any ideas or do I have to just make a new Virtual Machine and set it up from scratch and fully load XP Pro?
I have tried copying, pasting and renaming but it does not work.
I have tried moving the Virtual Machine to another folder but then the Virual Machine does not work.
I have tried moving the Virtual Machine back to the original folder but it does not work.
Any help appreciated.

I believe you can oly have one install of xp mode.
If you want more than 1, you have to use VMware, and fully install xp for each addition you want.

Thanks - I was afraid of that.
Will try setting up separate VMs with XP Pro installed in each and see what that does. I believe it will not work the same waY THOUGH - WILL HAVE TO GIVE IT A TRY.
I have always used Virtual Box but the great advantage with XP Mode is that it is totally seamless. Apparently you can also install 32 bit drivers in the XP VM and just access hardware through the 64 bit OS without requiring 64 bit drivers - that is a huge plus in my book.
Accessing plug in USB hard drives is also seamless.
If you could have more than one XP Mode it would be superb.
I guess I could also have a look at the latest Vitual Box and check out what they have done with it.
Or just use 1 XP Mode and let Siemens, Unity Pro and AB fight amongst themselves. At least I could shut them down.

Yep, only 1 XP Mode Virtual Machine.
I have long been a fan of Virtual Box - right back to the early days when it used to fall over, had very little functionality etc. I have now installed the latest version and am having a look at it.
Do not dismiss Windows 7 XP Mode - it is really very good. The integration is superb - it will even pick up and make available hard drives, USB drives etc and make them immediately available to the Virtual Machine when they are plugged in. I do not know if Virtual Box has got that far yet - accessing a USB hard drive used to be an absolute pain in the you know where - Microsucks has really got that right.
You can also install as many Virtual Machines as you like with different OSs etc - same as Virtual Box. Then run integration tools from within the Virtual Machine and integration appears to be absolutely as good as in XP Mode. No using the right control key to take the mouse out of the Virtual Machine - the mouse and keyboard operate wherever the mouse focus is - really good.
My only issue with setting up a Vrtual Machine in Windows 7 is that the maximum screen resolution appears to be 1024 x 768 - like a pimple on a pumpkin as I am using a Dell 30" monitor at a resolution of 2550 x 1600!!
The XP Mode runs about the same resolution as Virtual Box and is fine.
If Microsoft fix it so that there can be more than 1 XP Mode Virtual Machine, they have got me for sure.
Even if they up the resolution in a manually configured Virtual Machine they have got me for sure due to the fact that the integration is, quite frankly, brilliant.
Guess I either have to live with 1 XP Mode Virtual Machine for the moment or use Virtual Box until they make multiple XP Mode machines available or fix the screen resolution in the manually configuredf Virtual Machine. I will have to have a look and see if there is anything I can do with the screen resolution and up it substantially.

I recommend for u to install Guest additions on ur guest machines on virtualbox. Also no right control to detach mouse, speedup etc. Best thing is that you can resize the vm window and wm's resolution changes automatically.

2 cents I've had alot of trouble with Simatic software and Xp mode running on Windows 7 Ultimate x86. Switched over to VM Ware with excellent results.

My major problem is that my Siemens licence is on a USB hard drive and neither XP Mode or Virtual BoX can install a USB hard drive as a real hard drive and so the Siemens licence manager cannot see them as a harf drive.
I suspect I will have to keep an XP Pro desktop and laptop just for Siemens.
Unity Pro is not a problem as i CAN MANUALLY INSERT THE LICENCE NUMBER LATER.
hAVE NOT GOT TO ab YET.

VirtualBox has moved on quite along way, USB is not perfect but I find that I do better if I set the USB device before I start the virtual machine. I think the full screen mode has been around for a while but now works for Linux as well. You click one button and the virtual machine fills the screen, click another and it is back to a window. Or if you prefer you can use seamless mode where the toolbars for both Host and Guest appear on the same screen and you move between them, I guess you could call it seamlessly. Copy and Paste between Host and Guest seems to work well now.

You may be able to get around your Siemens license problem with shared folders, and then map the shared folder, to a hard drive.

As TurpoUrpo says, you must install the Guest Additions to get the best out it.

Bryan

For some time now (since 2007 that I know of) the Siemens Automation License Manager has supported remote transfers. This means you can transfer license between computers on a network. It's very easy to set up. This should help with the usb problem you have.

VMware rocks.

I believe my license is a bit too old and the yellow disk died years ago.
Probably have to get a new licence - darn!!!
Have tried everything I can think of and plenty of ideas from others to no avail.
I have 1 more thing to try - if it works I will respond here - if not I will not bother as it would be a waste of all our time.
Thanks for trying guys.

You can have more then one copy of xpmode running on win7 at the same time. I have it running at the moment. Cannot tell you the exact way i got it to do this but i have XPMode1 and XPMode2 virtual machines and can have them both running at the same time through xpmode.
I am running win7 ultimate 32bit and was having troble with the intergration. I think i redownloaded the xp mode and ran it again. When it said that it was installed i think it gave me the option to rename it xpmode2.
I have been running a copy of xpmode1 in vmware and only tried xp mode again today after a few weeks away from it. It started and ran with out any problems. I think a few updates of win7 helped with the intergration as when i left it alone i was not able to get very far before it would stop.
Hope this helps
Can PM me and i will try to work out what i did to get more then 1 vm running under xpmode