RE: Controllogix on Profibus

brumby

RE: Controllogix on Profibus

I have a new project to try and interface a controllogix SST-PFB-CLX module with an existing profibus network. The existing network has been very reliable, it is very important to continued reliable production and robustness of the network, that I do not introduce any instabilities / incompatibilities.

The existing network has the IC693PBM200 (GE FANUC 90-30 make with CPU364 controller) as the master and several Siemens Simoreg DC Drives and one Siemens AC Masterdrive on the network, all as slaves.

My thoughts were to introduce the SST-PFB-CLX module to the network as a slave, leaving only the GE module as the Master on the network. However I require to transmit alot more information between the two PLC's then I do between the GE PLC and the drives. There is no real requirement (can go via the GE PLC) for communication directly between the drives and the Controllogix PLC.

The questions I have...

1/ Is the above proposal the best way to go about introducing the Controllogix PLC to the profibus network (as I believe the module - SST-PFB-CLX could be configured for a Master as well).
2/ Is it possible to have the different data packet sizes as required, I believe this is achieved by proper declarations in the respective GSD file
3/ Could someone forward or provide a possible download site for an example GSD file for the Controllogix PLC that can be imported into the GE Cimplicity software used for programming the GE hardware configuration for the Profibus network.

You are correct that the SST-PFB-CLX can be configured as a Profibus DP slave. The amount of I/O data it exchanges with the master depends on which "Modules" are set up in the Master's configuration; these modules are defined by the GSD file.

SST makes this module. You can find all the information about it, including the GSD files and configuration software, on their website.

Start here:

http://www.mysst.com/download/download.asp

The amount of data you can exchange between the Profibus DP master and this module in Slave mode is relatively limited; the largest Module that the GSD file defines is 16 Words Input / 16 Words Output.

Hi,

I'm new to profibus, but pls allow me to ask:

1) Let's say the SST profibus card will be communicating with 20 DanFoss Invertor & 10 Toledo Weight scaller, will it be sufficient. Some ppl told me that SST card is fix @ 16Words, while for Danfoss Invertor, you cannot specify which particular bits/word you want, you must take one whole lum sum of words even you are just using one bit (DANFOSS).....any experience user can clarify this?

Thx.