ASI Controls ASIC/2-7040

Hi all,
This is a request for information on a very unusual setup, so I don't hold out much hope for a response.
We have a HVAC control system that consists of a ASIC/2-7040 programmable controller by ASI Controls and and PV570S HMI by Nematron which communicate on an 485 bus. Both are legacy equipment about 12 years old. I have been supplied with licenced software for programming the Nematron, but not the ASI made controller.
The problem is that the old HMI as finally died after 12 years of faithful service and while we have a functional spare, I have not been able to find any information at all on the communication protocol used between them. Needless to say, the old HMI project files are long gone. Packet sniffing easily yields hex values, but it appears to be a proprietory protcol of some sort. The ASI Controls is uninterested in providing any information.
The fact that the old display worked means that there must be some way for the Nematron to decode/encode it - even if it is a proprietory binary blob of some sort. I'm not holding out much hope on a response from Nematron about legacy equipment and I'm a bit lost without a functioning HMI to observe two way data traffic.
Anybody had any experience with this equipment? My next step is to recommend replacing the lot with something still supported.