American 2 Letter Color Abbreviation Standard?

theColonel26

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there an American standard for 2 Letter Color Abbreviation?

I found this for IEC, https://www.hitechcontrols.com/cables/technical-information/48-color-abbreviations.html thought I haven't found an official source for the IEC reference.

Some times I find Black as BL and sometimes BK and some times Blue as BU and sometimes BL. So I always have to find if there is BU or BK to figure out whether BL is Blue or BL is Black.

Also is there a standard definition for 3 Letter reservations?

I found this for IEC, https://www.hitechcontrols.com/cables/technical-information/48-color-abbreviations.html thought I haven't found an official source for the IEC reference.

Some times I find Black as BL and sometimes BK and some times Blue as BU and sometimes BL. So I always have to find if there is BU or BK to figure out whether BL is Blue or BL is Black.

I realize my comment does not answer your question but a wise man once said: “The beauty of standards is there’s so many to choose from.”

I don't know about the standards, but I've always used BK and BU, just to avoid using BL.

Actually, I have been encountering three-letter color abbreviations more often than the two-letter ones. I always use ORG for orange, not ORN as it can be easily confused with GRN.

There is also the unending confusion between PUR and VIO for the same color.

Actually, I have been encountering three-letter color abbreviations more often than the two-letter ones. I always use ORG for orange, not ORN as it can be easily confused with GRN.

There is also the unending confusion between PUR and VIO for the same color.

Memorizing resistor color codes is what led me to always choose violet over purple. Violet gives willingly. ;)