Array Value

PFrog

Hello,

I have an array tag made up of 400 DINTS (in Rslogix 5000). I would like to check for values from DINT[1] through DINT[399]. If there are no values, I would like to set a value of 1 in DINT[0].

All the other DINTS in this array will have a value greater than 1. It would be cool if I could get the value from the head tag of the array, but it looks like I can't do this?

Any advice on this?

This is done in structured text.

Thanks,

Keith

I don't follow what you're asking. If all the other DINTs have a value greater than 1, they have a value and you would never place a 1 in DINT[0]. And what is the "head tag"? The last tag with a value?

What do you understand as "no values"... how do you go from a state of having values to having no values again?

Is no values equal to zero?

Otherwise, you need to cycle through the memory positions, check if there is a value there and if yes, place a 1 in the first position and jump off the loop.

What do you understand as "no values"... how do you go from a state of having values to having no values again?

Is no values equal to zero?

Otherwise, you need to cycle through the memory positions, check if there is a value there and if yes, place a 1 in the first position and jump off the loop.

Correct no values would be a zero value. I am indexing through this array, and stopping if I have a value to display it for a couple seconds. I move values in and out (zero on out) of each of these DINTs within the array. I would like to quickly check if there are values in the array from [1] to [399]. I could run each dint on its own, and compare it to zero, add them ,etc. but that would be a few hundred lines of code. Hopefully I made it a little more clear. THanks

This sounds similar to displaying possible multiple alarms one at a time with a delay for viewing.

That is exactly what I am doing, and I have it functioning properly. Was just looking for an easy, clean way, in ST, to check for values within each of the DINTs of the array. If they were all 0 I could set a value in [0] to display.

Before each full scan, looking at all positions 1-399, set a flag to zero. If the scan finds a non-zero value to display then set the flag to one. At the end of the full scan if the flag is still zero then set that as the value. I haven't used ST so I can't give you the correct syntax though the earlier post of a FOR loop sounds about right.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I am doing, and I have it functioning properly. Was just looking for an easy, clean way, in ST, to check for values within each of the DINTs of the array. If they were all 0 I could set a value in [0] to display.

You'd be better off, as AutoMax said, using the ladder-only FSC instruction. Because if it finds a non-zero register, the .POS tells you the first register that was non-zero, and you could move that value into your DINT[0] value. Unlatching the .IN and .FD bits would have the FSC continue on from the first found "alarm" to the second. And so on.

You can, of course, reinvent the wheel in ST if you choose. I'd suggest looking at the Help file for FSC, to give you the timing diagram and a full description of how it works (from the outside, not from the inside).

Good luck