Light sensor for AB PLC for student project.

Kermy

Hi guys and gals have a question:

I'm currently a student and just started taking a class on PLCs. So this is my first time doing Ladder Logic and PLCs in general. The equipment we have are Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1500 PLCs with analog and digital I/O I believe.

But in any case, we each have a term project. I was thinking for mine was to use to PLC and have a light sensor to detect light amount, then based on that, alternate how open or closed a blind for my test window will be.

So summary: light sensor - PLC - motor - blind(window).

Now the question is what kind of light sensor will allow me to connect it with the PLC and which one will feed it not just if there's light or not but the amount of light. Also, how much would one of those sensors run?

Thanks,
Henry

If you want real cheap and you have some time on your hands you might try this. I have never actually used one of these so I don't have a supplier or a price.

Keith

I haven't looked in awhile but, Radio Shack used to carry an 'experimenter's pack' of Cadmium Sulfide photocells. With one of these and a well chosen fixed resistor you could make a voltage divider to give an analog input. It wouldn't be space shuttle caliber stuff but, it should be enough to prove the theory.

Hm interesting. I'll go take a look and talk with my prof about it. Still so new I don't even know what type of connector to use to plug into the PLC. :D Have a lot more reading to do.

Henry