Difference between {::[PLC program]I:3.1/15} and [PLC Program]B3/88

Rehu09

HI all,

I have exported csv files from one of the application which was build in factory talk view. I'm seeing 1600 tags almost and doesn't understand where this all are used. second question I was having this particular application has only one plc which is slc 5/05 but the address what I can see in the address column of csv files are two types they are [program name]B3/88 and {::[PLC program]I:3.1/15}
I'm completely blank which one to consider. Basically for my application I will be using the same csv file but with different plc program and I don't understand what should I assign to other tags which arenot used in screens.

Not certain about the first one, but can tell you that the :: is required if talking to a PLC5 or PLC500. Not needed (but still works) if you are talking to a control logix

Your project was probably converted from PanelBuilder32 (the old PanelView Standard), and both of your examples are unusual address methods that I do not recommend using.

I think you're really asking a handful of questions:

1. What do these unusual syntaxes mean ?
2. Is my program talking to more than one PLC ?
3. How do I use cross-referencing in FactoryTalk View ?

Let's take #2 first.

Both PV Standard and PV+ terminals can communicate with multiple controllers over the same network. There are some models of PV+ that are limited to just one, but that's licensing, not technology.

PanelBuilder32 called each controller a "node". PV+ uses RSLinx Enterprise, so when you convert an application each Node becomes and RSLinx Enterprise "Shortcut".

You describe two of them; [Program_Name] and [PLC_Program].

Those suggest to me that whatever program was the source for this application either talked to two controllers, or was put together from parts of other programs, and thus has a bunch of tags that are addressed to a controller it doesn't use.

Now, a bit about syntax. Both examples you gave are either non-standard or not-recommended.

[program name]B3/88

This is a sort of shorthand from the PLC-5/SLC-500 architecture, where instead of addressing Bit 0-15 in a data Word, you can address the Bit number starting at the first bit of word 0.

B3:0 is B3/0 through B3/15
B3:1 is B3/16 through B3/31
B3:2 is B3/32 through B3/47

and so on

So B3/88 is equivalent to B3:5/8

The starting double colon means "the following address includes a colon". Because the following address used that nonstandard shorthand addressing, there was no colon in the SLC data table address, and thus no initial double-colon to tell RSLinx there was an SLC-style data table address ahead.

{::[PLC program]I:3.1/15}

This is a direct reference to a word in an input module in the SLC-500 chassis. I do not recommend directly addressing I/O data tables because they can be tricky. The FactoryTalk View developers agree; at one point they simply would not allow direct addressing of PLC/SLC/MicroLogix I/O data tables.

In this case it's addressing the 15th bit of the second word. So either this is for a 32-bit discrete input module, or they're addressing the Sign of an analog channel on an analog input module like the 1746-NI4.

{::[PLC program]I:3.1/15}

This is a direct reference to a word in an input module in the SLC-500 chassis. I do not recommend directly addressing I/O data tables because they can be tricky. The FactoryTalk View developers agree; at one point they simply would not allow direct addressing of PLC/SLC/MicroLogix I/O data tables.

Can you expand upon why you don't recommend directly addressing tags? I'm assuming the alternative is an HMI tag that references the I/O, which I find to be very time consuming to troubleshoot, since once you find an address in the PLC program, you then must find the HMI tag that references the address, and search for that, instead of just searching for the address directly.