1747-uic

Phil78

So my boss has gotten me a little gift....in the form of a 20 year old machine with a slc 5/04. It has a touch screen hooked up to the RS232 port so it is set for DH485 coms. So I talked with my AB guy and he tells me I need a 1747-UIC and he wanted 600 bucks....so I found a knock off on amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J9ZM55/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza ) The problem I am having is the divers that came with it dont work. I cant set up the coms because it doesnt even know what it is. Does anyone know where I could get a driver for this thing that will work?

Running windows 7 64bit pro.

So the problem I am having is it just keeps calling it an unknown device no matter how many times i unplug it and plug it back in or down load the drivers. its like my laptop refuses to see it as anything but an unknown device

Last edited:
Okay, I just dug up an email I received from another seller of what looks like the same hardware. I had forgotten all about this. He is also a forum member. Our problem was with Windows 8 on a co-worker's machine and the symptoms are slightly different...maybe the solution will still help.

Me said:
Hello Tim!

We recently bought two of your 1747-UIC DH485 cables. The installation seems to have went just fine on my Windows 7 machine, however my partner is running windows 8 64 bit and we were unable to get windows to accept the driver on the mini disc as suitable for the device. It shows up with the yellow overlay in device manager (driver not installed) and is identified as FT245R USB FIFO. When I point Windows at the install disc it give me the “Windows was unable to install your FT245R USB FIFO” error.

If you know of some tricks or tips to help us make this work, I’d appreciate it!

Thanks,
(OkiePC)

TW Controls said:
Hi Paul

Sorry for the trouble you are having. Yes we have recently ran into that error and are trying to pinpoint the problem. We had a customer report doing this to solve the error. Follow the instructions below and let me know how it works.

Go to http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

2. To the left of "Windows" in the table click "Available as setup executable" and download the file

3. Don't open it by clicking on it when the download is finish, this didn't work for him. Instead navigate to it in Windows Explorer, right click it, and select "Run as Administrator".

4. Reboot your computer and plug it in.

Tim
TW Controls

Paul,

That only works if the driver is not loaded... if the device (UIC) has failed because of ****ty work or failed electronics (note: not mine) then the PC will say device not known

Thats why we have a lifetime guarantee with ours and no one else offers that

update

ok so i tried plugging it into another comp and i got it to see it as a converter. So i tried all the other ports on my laptop and it will see it as something other than a unknown device on one out of the five ports on this thing

ok so i tried plugging it into another comp and i got it to see it as a converter. So i tried all the other ports on my laptop and it will see it as something other than a unknown device on one out of the five ports on this thing

It maybe a 3.0 USB port and the UIC's were made for 2.0, most but not all 3.0 are backward compatible

Are you sure the 5/04 is configured as DH485?

100% on the dh485. in fact thanks to your idea of trying a different comp and that prompting me to look at trying all the ports on my laptop i got in.

Thanks so much gang I will be visiting this site much more often and helping out where i can!