SLC 5/05 communication problem

>My colleague over here is telling once it goes into faulted solid red. it is brand new plc

When the Fault (FLT) LED is flashing red, the controller is faulted but ready for a download of a new program.

When the Fault (FLT) LED is solid red, the controller is "hard faulted" and you cannot communicate with it. If the LED stays solid red after multiple power cycles, then the controller must be replaced.

As soon as I installed my processor into the slot the fault started blinking after a while again it went to solid Red. That's made me worry. What are the options do I have to replace the processor.

To add to Ken's statement.... the lights on the PLC is like a PC starting up and needs to start several processes, I think the last to boot is the daughter board and memory, once the CPU starts flashing then fails it has been the daughter board from what I have seen

That said not many people can repair it, so I would say you need to replace it... if you want us to look at it we can for no cost other than shipping, just send me a email or PM

Make sure you held the short on the VBB and GND for 30 sec

When the Fault (FLT) LED is flashing red, the controller is faulted but ready for a download of a new program.

When the Fault (FLT) LED is solid red, the controller is "hard faulted" and you cannot communicate with it. If the LED stays solid red after multiple power cycles, then the controller must be replaced.
I discussed the same with my colleague, he was telling me that the nature of default plc. there is no reason that you cannot go online.
I'm under gun right now. He just looks for a chance like this. I doesn't know.
I said him I have used 1747-cp3 cable to communicated. He said is that serial cable, Null modem cable. Go and check manual I'm 100% sure it should take you through online.
He is telling only one word "when you purchase new processor" its "default" state is red solid light on fault. You have to go and verify. I'm more concern.

I discussed the same with my colleague, he was telling me that the nature of default plc. there is no reason that you cannot go online.
I'm under gun right now. He just looks for a chance like this. I doesn't know.
I said him I have used 1747-cp3 cable to communicated. He said is that serial cable, Null modem cable. Go and check manual I'm 100% sure it should take you through online.
He is telling only one word "when you purchase new processor" its "default" state is red solid light on fault. You have to go and verify. I'm more concern.

See pdf for indicator meaning(s)

See pdf for indicator meaning(s)
Thank you Mickey. I will discuss the same again with him. But I don't know why he is so confident in bringing back the processor online. Let me check tomorrow with him and will update you all.
Thanks everyone for your all help.

Thank you Mickey. I will discuss the same again with him. But I don't know why he is so confident in bringing back the processor online. Let me check tomorrow with him and will update you all.
Thanks everyone for your all help.

Well then let him show you.

Put-up or shut-up.

Last edited:
He wants you to change the power supply itself. They can cause strange problems.
okay Mickey, I will check the input voltage through mutlimeter and validate. orelse I will remove the processor and connect in any other slot and verify.
Thank you Mickey

What Mickey is saying is try a different power supply I.E. the device that you are connecting the power cable to. On the left end of the rack, that grey box that the power cable is connected to is the power supply and it is removable. They can fail and sometimes when they do they will still power the rack but cause strange problems including causing processors to fault. It's a bit of a long shot but with the cost of a SLC5/05 it's worth trying another one if you can. If you've got another power supply or another rack try putting your SLC5/05 in that rack (make sure the key switch is in program mode) and see if the fault LED flashes instead of comes on solid. If you put the processor in another rack (or you use another power supply) and the fault LED stays on solid then the processor is bad.