What are the hadware components requried

Points well taken, George. There are many things we really don't know about this. You could type 30 pages of guesses and still not hit it. What about safety?

It's just simple to at least look into a proper migration path to more modern hardware/software.

Oh, most definitely. In weighing things up it's very important to scope out potential options. You certainly could not (should not) decide whether to implement a particular migration option or not if you don't know about it to begin with.

That's why I'm delighted with kev77's declaration. I/we are better informed now if scoping out SLC migration options.

G.

Last edited:
Yes, more so learned the hard way but I'm sure I have been or have read such advice somewhere in the past? I'll try to find a reference if I can.

The RSLogix 500 program conversion process, when changing controller types, where the unique communications port is changing (5/03 - DH-485; 5/04 - DH+; 5/05 - Ethernet), will not always flag the MSG instructions that are configured to that communications channel for any errors. The change to the channel configuration in the converted MSG instruction is not enough. The MSG instruction configuration, created in an SLC 5/03 using DH-485 for channel 1, will be structured differently to a similar MSG instruction configuration for channel 1 Ethernet in an SLC 5/05. Again, the program Verify does not always pick this up in the MSG instruction configuration and so does not generate any compile errors for these instructions.

I, and I'm sure Rockwell (somewhere?), would advise users to delete the instruction and start afresh. This eliminates any instructions that may be misconfigured.

I've held off on posting the above until I could fine a reference on the Knowledgebase...

442328 - RSLogix 500: Converting a program for use in a different processor type
Access Level: TechConnect

Just to add- even though the technote states that errors will be generated, I have definitely had cases where there were no errors.

Regards,
George
Hey George,
I don't have access to the 442328 which is mentioned in the earlier post.
I got question like when I switch the processor SLC 5/05 do i have to play with any of the status bits or with scan time?