Allen Bradley Basic Card

XEV2005

X
Hello,
Does anyone knows where i can find one program called PBASE to program the 1746-BAS Card from Allen Bradley?? I need to use both serial ports, so i need to use the DH485 comm to program it!

Thank you!

I don't know, maybe you should try Allen Bradley (1747-PBASE). Pbase doesn't work above Windows98. Did you at least try to look for this yourself????

1746 Communication Modules

In addition to the on-board ports available with SLC processors, you have the option of providing another communication port for an SLC processor by adding a communication module. Each of these modules takes up a single slot in a 1746 chassis local to an SLC processor.

Two of these communication modules only provide an interface between a built-in port on the processor and another communication link with a different type of protocol. The other modules communicate with the SLC processor over the 1746 backplane.

In addition to providing communication ports, the 1746-BAS and 1746-BAS-T modules provide the processing capability to execute programs you generate in the BASIC language. The results from the execution of these programs can be sent out the communication ports or across the backplane to the SLC processor.

Specifications

Environmental Operating Temperature 0…60 °C (32…140 °F) Storage Temperature -40…85 °C (-40…185 °F) Relative Humidity 5…95% (without condensation)

Communication Modules

Cat. No. Description Communication with SLC Processor Operation Communication Port Protocol Backplane
Current Load 1746-BAS SLC BASIC Module 1746 Backplane • Executes BASIC programs
• 3 communication ports
• Compatible with BASIC Development Software (1747-PBASE) RS-232/423, -422, -485
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
DH-485 150 mA @ 5V dc
40 mA @ 24V dc 1746-BAS-T SLC BASIC-T Module 1746 Backplane This module is very similar to the 1746-BAS module except that it is 4-times faster and uses different optional memory modules.
• Executes BASIC programs
• 3 communication ports
• Compatible with BASIC Development Software (1747-PBASE) RS-232/423, -422, -485
DH-485 150 mA @ 5V dc
40 mA @ 24V dc 1747-KE DH-485/DF1 Interface Module DH-485 port Interfaces the DH-485 port on an SLC 500, 5/01, 5/02, or 5/03 processor to an RS-232 link RS-232/423, -422, -485
DH-485 150 mA @ 5V dc
40 mA @ 24V dc 1747-KFC15 ControlNet RS-232 Interface Module RS-232 port Interfaces the RS-232 port on an SLC 5/03, 5/04, or 5/05 processor to a ControlNet link RS-232
ControlNet 640 mA @ 5V dc 1747-DCM Direct Communication Module 1746 Backplane Lets the local SLC processor read up to 8 words of input data from and write 8 words of output data to the scanner port of a supervisory processor across a Universal Remote I/O Link Universal Remote I/O Adapter 360 mA @ 5V dc 1747-SCNR ControlNet Scanner Module 1746 Backplane • Scan I/O
• Compatible with SLC 5/02, 5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 processors ControlNet Scanner 800 mA @ 5V dc
90 mA @ 24V dc 1747-SDN DeviceNet Scanner Module 1746 Backplane • Scan I/O
• Compatible with SLC 5/02, 5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 processors DeviceNet Scanner 500 mA @ 5V dc 1747-SN Remote I/O Scanner Module 1746 Backplane • Scan I/O
• Compatible with SLC 5/02, 5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 processors Universal Remote I/O Scanner 600 mA @ 5V dc 1747-BSN Backup Scanner Module 1746 Backplane • Scan I/O and pass retentive data between backup scanner modules to provide backup when a fault occurs.
• Compatible with SLC 5/02, 5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 processors Universal Remote I/O Scanner
High-Speed Serial Link
Local Serial Link 800 mA @ 5V dc 1203-SM1 SCANport Communication Module 1746 Backplane • Provides a high-speed interface between an SLC processor and a maximum of 3 SCANport-enabled products¬
• Compatible with any SLC processor, in a local or remote chassis, for basic functions
• Compatible with SLC 5/02, 5/03, 5/04, and 5/05 processors, in a local chassis for enhanced functions
• Connects to SCANport-enabled products via SCANport cables: 1202-C03 (0.33 m), 1202-C10 (1.0 m), 1202-C30 (3.0 m), or 1202-C90 (9.0 m) SCANport 300 mA @ 5V dc ¬ SCANport-enabled products include: 1305 AC Drives, 1336 PLUS AC Drives, 1336 PLUS II AC Drives, 1336 IMPACT AC Drives, 1336 FORCE AC Drives, 1336 SPIDER AC Drives, 1336 REGEN package, 1397 DC Drives, 1557 Medium Voltage AC Drives, 1394 Motion Systems, SMC Dialog Plus, SMP Smart Motor Protector, and 2364 Regenerative DC Bus Supply Unit.

Last edited:
brucechase said:
Pbase doesn't work above Windows98.

I used it regularly on an NT4.0 system, and I think I used it once (I know I installed it, don't remember if I ran it) on my Windows 2000 system. Officially it isn't supported above '98, but my experience is it works alright anyhow . . .

Marc

XEV2005 said:
Hello,
Does anyone knows where i can find one program called PBASE to program the 1746-BAS Card from Allen Bradley?? I need to use both serial ports, so i need to use the DH485 comm to program it!

Thank you!
What I normally do to actually program the Basic Module is set JW4 and use Port 1 to program the module. After I've loaded the program I put JW4 back to its run settings. I've only used the 485 port when I needed to monitor the module while it was running to find out where the program was faulting - and both serial ports were in use.

I use HyperTerminal to upload/download programs to and from Basic Modules because it's quick and easy and can be found on most computers. Before that I used a DOS shareware program called Telix.

Have fun, Tim.

I use Notepad to write the program and I use Hyperterminal to upload/download and monitor the execution. Who needs anything else? If you don't like the tedious task of renumbering lines for more code just download to the module, tell it to renumber them then upload and keep on programmming.

Bernie, could you send me instructions to UPLOAD the basic program located in the Basic Module? I have just attempted it, using hyperterminal with no luck.
I am using a crossover serial cable, with Serial port com1. I am plugged into the top port on the ASCII module (I think Port 2).
I cannot initiate any kind of transfer.
I have searched the forums, and have not found anything that really works.
You seem to say that it is easy, could you please let me know what I am doing wrong?

Don't bother with pbase it's **** & definitely not worth the money

Use hyperterminal it's easy & just as good.
God knows how AB can justify such rubbish I tried to use it a long time ago (thought it was the way to go) I gave up & used my own little terminal emulator.

I haven't written a basic program in many years but when I did I used XTalk for editing, storing, and printing....it worked great. I'm not sure you can even buy it anymore.

SNK said:
Bernie, could you send me instructions to UPLOAD the basic program located in the Basic Module? I have just attempted it, using hyperterminal with no luck.
I am using a crossover serial cable, with Serial port com1. I am plugged into the top port on the ASCII module (I think Port 2).
I cannot initiate any kind of transfer.
I have searched the forums, and have not found anything that really works.
You seem to say that it is easy, could you please let me know what I am doing wrong?
Put the basic module into program mode, connect null modem cable to port 1. If all is OK, you should see some messages when you power the basic module up. If you can communicate with the basic module, just LIST the program using Hyperterminal, then cut and paste it into notepad.

Thanks people. I finally had time to cycle the power on the machine. I tested with a spare Basic card from spares and was able to read the card type, etc. I made a program and downloaded successfully, so I think I should be able to do the Machine edition now.
One of the issues that I had was that in Hyperterminal the std baud rate is set at 2400, when in fact I had overlooked that and should have been using 1200.
Thanks for all that replied.

SNK said:
Thanks people. I finally had time to cycle the power on the machine. I tested with a spare Basic card from spares and was able to read the card type, etc. I made a program and downloaded successfully, so I think I should be able to do the Machine edition now.
One of the issues that I had was that in Hyperterminal the std baud rate is set at 2400, when in fact I had overlooked that and should have been using 1200.
Thanks for all that replied.

Quick tip, first thing I do in command line mode is bump the baud rate with the MODE command. From memory: MODE(Prt1,19200,n,8,1,s,) sets up for faster downloading/uploading with s/w handshaking.

jstolaruk said:
Quick tip, first thing I do in command line mode is bump the baud rate with the MODE command. From memory: MODE(Prt1,19200,n,8,1,s,) sets up for faster downloading/uploading with s/w handshaking.

Don't you have to connect first? That was the issue wasm't it?

rsdoran said:
Don't you have to connect first? That was the issue wasm't it?

By "command line mode" I mean the BAS's command line mode. To get to the command line mode I had to have already been connected.

At 1200 baud, big programs take a while to download/upload and especially when downloading because there is a delay after each program line while the BAS module evalulates the program line statement for errors and probably some intermediate P-code compling.