SLC Memory Module M13 - Update Values?

woodward_uk

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi there

One of our sites took a lightning strike last week which somehow removed\corrupted the user program in an SLC 5\05. After reloading the software the processor seems fine, so we have decided to install M13 memory modules which I have configured to only load after a processor error (S:1/10 and S:1/12).

Can anyone tell me what the function of the 'Data File Overwrite Protection' (S:36/10) is please? and how does this tie in with the 'memory module protection' under the individual data file properties?

Can I automatically update the memory module with data table values that have been changed via the HMI?

Thanks guys.

[...]so we have decided to install M13 memory modules which I have configured to only load after a processor error (S:1/10 and S:1/12).
S:1/10 is the bit you will want to have set. It will load the program from the EPROM only when the program in RAM is corrupted.

S:1/12 is used for updating the PLC program by means of an EPROM, i.e. the EPROM can be removed after the update. If the bit is set on the EPROM it will load every time, overwriting the data tables, which you probably do not want.

Can anyone tell me what the function of the 'Data File Overwrite Protection' (S:36/10) is please? and how does this tie in with the 'memory module protection' under the individual data file properties?
I am not 100% sure, but as I understand it, it is a bit that tells you that protected dta files were overwritten by a transfer from the EPROM. In other words you can use it for a warning on the HMI for example. And you must clear it manually.
Can I automatically update the memory module with data table values that have been changed via the HMI?
Not vie the PLC program if that is what you are after. You can upload to RSLogix, and then burn the EPROM again to get the latest data values on the EPROM.

'Data File Overwrite Protection' (S:36/10) is used to prevent data file values in the eeprom from overiting values in the processor.

This may or may not be okay depending on your application. For instance if the plc data files contain recipe values that the operator has tweaked this week and saved as the new recipe values and the processor faults on program loss or corruption and loads from eeprom then the old values on the eeprom will overite your tweaked recipe values in the processor data files and may be lost if not recorded by another method.

Then all the twaeking would have to be done again