Mitsubishi and GX_Developer with S coils

Eric

It is about time I started to use STL and S coils so I got out the Manual. But it shows the STL S21 direct to Y10 then branch down to T1 but when I try to enter this I find the STL S21 command becomes its own line and I can then enter the output Y10 below it. But not the T1 command. I tried M8000 then T1 and it seems to work with emulator but before I try it with live machine I want to be sure I am getting the system right. Also at work we don't have GX_Developer so they use FXGPWIN but I can't find instructions so I use MEDOC at work. Rather a bore writting in MEDOC converting to GX to test then back to MEDOC for changes. I see I can convert from GX to FXGPWIN so it would be better to use FXGPWIN any idea where I can get instructions on this software. Not allowed to load my copy of GX on firms machine IT department will not let me.

Thanks Eric

Eric, if I was you, I would not be too quick off the mark at putting STL into a live machine until you have learned all the nuances.
For anyone not familiar with mitsi, -STL means step ladder, not statement list.
Depending on which version of the programming manual you have there are some mistakes with STL.
To set the first state relay active you use eg SET S21
Then the STL statement is on a line on its own
eg
Code:
 -----------{STL S21}
normal ladder 
normal ladder
-]X0[-------{SET S22}
------------{STL S22}
normal ladder
normal ladder
------------{RET}
Beneath that line you program as normal until your next STL relay or a RETurn instruction.
To move to the next sequence STL state, you must use eg SET STL S22. If you use OUT S22, both states will be active at the same time. (OUT is used to have 2 sequences running at the same time)
You can ‘double coil’ with STL between steps, for instance if you wanted Y0 to be on through two steps. But, you have to be careful with double coiling. If you needed to use YO outside the STL sequence then normal double coil rules will apply.

Thanks for advice. While I was training my lecture seems completly oblivous to STL but I see contractors whos machines we have bought have used this form of programing. Idea would be to set up a spare PLC and through in some program line to test the system. I have of course used the normal form of sequencal programing but as yet have not seen the need for STL but one must keep up with modern ideas and I must learn this system in the end so may as well learn it now.

Thanks again Eric Palmer

STL has many advantages and I use it often. It is good for subroutines where you can write many subroutines For each state.
It is excellent for fault finding as the fault must be in the active step and no where else.
One tip springs to mind, only write small steps in each STL stage. Dont try and do to much with each step.
something like this for a pick n place routine.

S20 MOVE TO PICK UP
S25 OPEN JAWS
S30 LOWER
S35 CLOSE JAWS
S40 RAISE
S45 MOVE TO DROP
S50 LOWER
S55 OPEN JAWS
S60 RAISE - ----SET S20