RsLogix5000 Watch Feature

AlexDarsigny

Hi,

I've worked for years with Schneider PLCs. There are what's called operator screens that we can built within the programmation software.

These operator screen acts like the watch tool in RsLogix but there are graphics showing statuses and analog values and it's possible to write into the tags without any adressing since it's basically a watch tool with graphical layer above within the programmation software.

Is there something similar for RsLogix or any other Rockwell software that is able to synchronize with my PLC? I'm trying to avoid the development of an entire HMI application since I only want to test my program.

I have too much tags to check simultaneously to use a basic watch list where I have to scroll to see everything tag I need.

Thanks.

RSLogix 5 & 500 Professional Editions have what is called CGM (Custom Graphical Monitors) which are useful but the editor is weak. I don't think there is an equivalent for RSLogix 5000. I would suggest using Red Lion Crimson 3.0 emulator but it hangs up when using the Logix 5000 drivers.

You might try out Ignition by Inductive Automation. It has a two hour trial when you download it and run it without a license, but you can just open a browser into its gateway and reset the trial timer and keep going. You have to register in order to download the software, but IA is great about not pestering you with sales calls.

If you are good with Visual Studio you might be interested in Advanced HMI
https://www.advancedhmi.com/

have you tried using the "Watch" feature - but set it for "Quick Watch" ... it's not perfect - but it might be helpful ... you can set it up for only the tags that you need - instead of for all of the tags in the routine ...

and you might trying going directly to RSLinx (as long as it's not the Lite flavor) and try using the Data Table Monitor feature ... again - not perfect - but sometimes it's handy to float it around on your screen - and maybe you'll like it ...

data_monitor.jpg

Last edited:
If you have the Gateway license for RSLinx, Excel is a great tool for creating quickie process monitoring screens. You can add text where you need it, conditional format cells to change color / style based on values (which makes it easier to spot issues).

Handy when the HMI team isn't done developing yet; or in the field and there's no HMI available when you're connected to the PLC.

have you tried using the "Watch" feature - but set it for "Quick Watch" ... it's not perfect - but it might be helpful ... you can set it up for only the tags that you need - instead of for all of the tags in the routine ...

and you might trying going directly to RSLinx (as long as it's not the Lite flavor) and try using the Data Table Monitor feature ... again - not perfect - but sometimes it's handy to float it around on your screen - and maybe you'll like it ...

Yes I know the Quick Watch option. Not bad but meh...

Just tried it. It's actually not bad but the write capability is missing and strangely I can only access tags which are structure data type. All BOOL and REAL and other basic data types tags are not there...

Last edited:
Tried it as well, same thing as Quick Watch. I don't get the purpose of this tool.

I guess I'll gave to live with several Quick Watch of a couple of tags.

Yes I know the Quick Watch option. Not bad but meh...

Just tried it. It's actually not bad but the write capability is missing and strangely I can only access tags which are structure data type. All BOOL and REAL and other basic data types tags are not there...

You can add ANY tag to the Quick Watch window, regardless of its data-type....

I can only guess what you are doing wrong here, I do it all the time when testing or monitoring, and you can "write" values to the tags....

2018-04-27_235433.jpg

Last edited: