Logix5000 Continuous vs. Periodic Tasks

Well, then you should be good at it and know what you are talking about. It doesn't sound like you do. Your comment on why spend thousands on a processor to sit idle is top ten dumbest things I have ever heard!!

You like your car to consume fuel and go nowhere ?

Well, then you should be good at it and know what you are talking about. It doesn't sound like you do. Your comment on why spend thousands on a processor to sit idle is top ten dumbest things I have ever heard!!

Why do people get nervous when they see CPU statistics at 100%, it just means the app is working at maximum efficiency. And in the PLC world isn't that what we all want, no dead time. No GUI to service, no remote desktop to look for, no devices to attach etc., etc.

We do not need to schedule our main logic.

Nope, but it does sit in the garage for days on end with no use.

Same with my laptop, sometimes even powered up!!

Both of those cost thousands of dollars. Your argument is silly...

Agreed, but your car or laptop isn't controlling a a 24/7 plant.

Nope, but it does sit in the garage for days on end with no use.

Same with my laptop, sometimes even powered up!!

Both of those cost thousands of dollars. Your argument is silly...
For most PLCs, their entire reason of existence is to make money for its owner. They literally have no other purpose. If it makes the process 0.000001% more efficient to run a continuous task, why wouldn't the owner of said PLC want that? Your car and laptop have other duties to attend do.

Ok, so my "legacy" L6x series processors may be old hat, but I still think the discussion about what your controller is processing is relevant. I don't believe that RA have removed the need for the Continuous Task, just because they've reserved a core for comms.
Agreed. If anything, it is an argument FOR using continuous task rather than periodic.

I take it that you're not much of an overclocker or an engine tuner. Anything that automatically "adjusts" to run as fast and efficiently as possible is a no brainer in those worlds.

Last edited:
If it makes the process 0.000001% more efficient to run a continuous task, why wouldn't the owner of said PLC want that?

So far nobody has proved either way better. My point to daba was it doesn't sound like he's done a non-continuous project. So until he's done both and compared I just don't think he will have an argument in it. He's the one that offered the car analogy, not me. I just expanded on it.

At the end of the day, I could care less. Nobody on this site will sway me one way or the other. For the last few years I only come here for entertainment. This thread is definitely a good one.

So far nobody has proved either way better.
If the PLC is waiting on information before it can react or continue to the next step or perform an action, then making it wait for a periodic task to occur is absolutely causing some slowdown to the process, however slight.

If you can't see that, then, well... I'm not sure what other fundamental concepts you fail to grasp.

If the PLC is waiting on information before it can react or continue to the next step or perform an action, then making it wait for a periodic task to occur is absolutely causing some slowdown to the process, however slight.

If you can't see that, then, well... I'm not sure what other fundamental concepts you fail to grasp.

Well, keep on doing what you are doing, I'll do the same. As I stated, I don't come here anymore for useful information... you continue to prove that...

Well, keep on doing what you are doing, I'll do the same. As I stated, I don't come here anymore for useful information... you continue to prove that...
If you just come here to insult people and not contribute anything meaningful, maybe it's time for a new hobby?