Install EDS Hardware tool inside rslogix 5000

waterbottle

Can anyone guide me how to install eds hardware tool inside rslogix 5000. Trying to install eds files to add a module but not able to get the tool. The tool works fine for rslinxs and I can see the module perfectly but cannot do inside rslogix.

Any help or point in the right direction will be appreciated.

thanks and happy new year

In the Logix designer IDE, click

Tools-> EDS Hardware Installation Tool

Then follow the steps to browse to you EDS file location

Its inside the Rockwell folder in your Windows Start Menu.

From This TechNote
"Launch the EDS Hardware Installation Tool found in the RSLinx folder and as an administrator and click Add."

Last edited:
The EDS Hardware installation tool is installed as part of the RS Linx package, but I have found that this tool will install EDS files that are used by RSLinx for non-Rockwell devices, as the RS-Linx tool installs most of Rockwell EDS files (and other Encompass partners) by default. In my PC it is shown in the star menu as shown below:

However, normally the Studio 5000, the EDS hardware Installation Tool should be a part of the TOOLS option, as I show below. I wonder if it would be possible to install your Studio 5000 on a different PC to see if you get the same result. The RSLinx package is available from the Rockwell download site.

Please have a look at the attachments.

EDS hardware installation.png EDS hardware installation_FromLogix.png

If you don't know where is EDS installation tool, go to your window search bar and type in EDS installation tool, if it doesn't show up, you have to install it.

Ok,

I have it install in my programs and the .exe files points to the folders in rslinxs. Im able to add the EDS file and see the module using rslinx.

2020-01-02 17_51_09-Start menu.jpg

the problem is that i need to add the module to my logix designer (RSLOGIX 5000 v17)

If the EDS hardware tool is not inside rslogix how do I do to add the module EDS File to be able to see the module. Its an IFM eds file.:unsure::unsure::unsure:

you don't need EDS file for adding module to your controller IO tree.EDS file is for RSlinx ,not for RSlogix5000. need more information.
it depends what module you want to add to controller IO tree.usually you need AOP file for that module, for example,Generic EtherNet Module doesn’t has AOP file installed. what module do you want to add to controller IO tree? go to AB site to search your module AOP file.if it doesn't show up. you don't need AOP file, when you add your module to PLC IO tree, RSLogix 5000 automatically generates its own AOP file.then you can configure your module.

Last edited:
For V20: Rockwell software started to use the EDS-based AOP. A special format section in the EDS file allowed devices to show up in the RSLogix 5000 hardware selector without installing AOP file.
your RSLogix 5000 V17 doesn't support EDS-based AOP.
Does IFM have information about how to configure their module as a Generic Ethernet/IP Module ?

Last edited: