H O A Factory Talk ME

77nomad

Hey guys,

I've been around here a while but never posted. All the way back to college this has been a useful tool to help me solve problems. So I thank you. That being said, I've read most the relevant threads about any issue that I come up against.

I recently came across some free time at work and decided to "freshen up" some of our HMI displays. I didn't realize I'd have an issue with creating an HOA to mimic a physical AB 3-position selector switch. To be clear I am not controlling anything with the display. The button simply sets bits in the logic to allow the operator to jog a motor and a couple valves. In Auto the machine (a dust collector) just runs along and runs a filter pulse at a programmed interval.

The buttons (momentary) are invisible and run vertical about a third of the width of the switch. One button for each state, the switch changes state with the visibility being set with a seal in circuit in the logic.

Thoughts? Better ways? I didn't see anything that I really though I could use when searching.

Thanks again.

Untitled.jpg HOA.jpg

I would make it so the operator presses the words above the switch instead of buttons to the side. That makes it simpler and more like a real HOA switch IMO.

My problem is that even on a 10' screen that's a small target. The button does run through the word straight to the bottom of the ID Plate.

Make the button bigger.

After animation and manual buttons there isn't much room. I can't put a 15" monitor on everything we sell. Sometimes I use a 3.5" and even the LCD on MicroLogix. It's all on what the customer is will to pay for and most of the time it's 7-10" screens.

Ah a dust collector! Something I am familiar with!

When it comes to the HOA's on an HMI (rare - most dust collectors are single motor and I can't justify the cost) I usually do one of two things:

1. Use a multi-state button with four states Hand - OFF - AUTO - OFF. One press toggles to the next state. The HOA on screen only displays the HOA status.

2. Use three different buttons, Hand, Off, and Auto with an indicator color on each button to indicate which is currently selected.

Don't know if that helps, but it is what I have done for the last few years!

Ah a dust collector! Something I am familiar with!

When it comes to the HOA's on an HMI (rare - most dust collectors are single motor and I can't justify the cost) I usually do one of two things:

1. Use a multi-state button with four states Hand - OFF - AUTO - OFF. One press toggles to the next state. The HOA on screen only displays the HOA status.

2. Use three different buttons, Hand, Off, and Auto with an indicator color on each button to indicate which is currently selected.

Don't know if that helps, but it is what I have done for the last few years!
Thanks, I'll try the multistate PB tomorrow if I have time.

My two pennies, dump the selector switch graphic, just use buttons.

I agree. Three separate buttons is the least confusing, IMO.

Some customers require that the HOA on screen looks like the physical button to match. It isn't as intuitive having to press the button to change it.

The 3 buttons is what I usually do, with a multistate indicator above them to show if the thing is running or not. So you know what "Auto" decided to do.

Another way might be a selection field like a combo box with 3 states i.e. OFF, Man, AUTO. This way you have one selector that provides an integer value of 0,1,2. and as a bonus gives you one field with the state, then code the plc to enable the selection I have used this in the past on motors.