110Vac instrumentation cable

theripley

Hi everyone and happy new year y’all.

Have anyone use a 110 Vac instrumentation cable for a 220 Vac device?

Never run 110Vac rated cable on 220Vac!

One of three things will happen:
1. It will catch fire when you commission the device.
2. The insulation will degrade much faster than normal, and in maybe 1 year from now, it will catch fire.
3. The insulation will degrade much faster than normal, and in maybe 1 year from now,you will start to see sporadic false readings from your device. Later it will catch fire.

As this cable is sometimes a twisted pair, I refer to such cable as the twisted firestrter.

Just plowed through Helukabel's catalog. The lowest rated cable I could find was 225V.
Exception were LAN cables, for which there is no insulation rating.

things you must take into consideration.

1. the insulation rating of the wire.
2. the current rating of the wire.
3. the length of the wire (voltage drop).

I have never seen any 110 volt cable with less than 300 volts ac, but then again, there may be some out there.

james