You get what you pay for

drbitboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
Complete, absolute newbie with hardware here.

Update: 3(.3)V backup battery is shot; a few millivolts across its contacts.

Can anyone please suggest possible symptoms of the four lights lit and nothing on the LCD in the image below? Is it possible the web server could be operating and provide some information?

Full-resolution image is here

This is an untested, no return, eBay purchase, so "it's a paperweight" is not an unexpected answer.

Thank you.

ml1000_four_lights_small.jpg

Last edited:
With all those lights on it sounds fatal to me It looks like a complete failure of the processor hardware & probably not the power supply, sorry about the pun but instead of the paperweight, you could use it as a bookend stop. or if you are really in a bad move flog it again on eBay, no refund. No really, Selling duff stuff on any site is bad, unless it states so, really gets my back up that people can be so unscrupulous, does nothing but give you a bad name as well as the site.

Last edited:
This is an untested, no return, eBay purchase, so "it's a paperweight" is not an unexpected answer.

I would say yes a paperweight, but I would also push back on ebay, just because its listed as untested and no returns, the seller cant list **** and be off the hook, it should of been listed as 'for parts'

And after I made that fancy cable'n all. :)

Thanks everyone.

It's my bad for not reading the full listing, like I usually do. Still, they have no business listing it at typical used prices.

I'll leave neutral feedback and remove the seller's 100% positive rating, for a while anyway.

Last edited:
I would say yes a paperweight, but I would also push back on ebay, just because its listed as untested and no returns, the seller cant list **** and be off the hook, it should of been listed as 'for parts'

Yeah, it's too small to be a door stop.

I use to do Ebay stuff and other online auctions in the US and Canada.

During my infatuation with this aspect of commerce, it was about $300K total exchange on ebay.

I only had one person in Cali give me a negative and cause issues on a factory sealed Mitutoyo Height Gauge. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Ebay made him send it back to me, which took a while, but it was the exact same I sent to Cali.

Some people can't pay for what they buy... Yep, we all want everything, but can you afford it?

I listed it again, and it sold within a few hours. New owner is quite happy with his purchase, and no disgruntled trolls...

Like Alice Cooper said, You even make your Grandma Sick!

That does hit a raw nerve... Just got a dud from what appeared to be a good seller. I asked how they would like to handle it (before contacting Ebay), and they wanted to low-ball me (3 offers) so I finally went the Ebay Return to Seller route, and they refunded my $25.

It was a brand new, in the box, good looking little jump box I was planning to use for lawn mowers, ATVs, etc. But it was bad.

They didn't even want it back in the end...

It just offended me that they would try to low-ball me on a refund. They were whining about my having to pay return shipping (which is BS, Ebay says they have to pay for it), and having to return it to the manufacturer, etc. Last I knew, that was a cost of doing business?

Like was said, I'd check with Ebay on the return/refund. They don't want problems and seem to be quick at resolving things.

If it was listed as "used" om Ebay that includes in the description " but is fully operational and functions as intended"

File a official complaint with Ebay and use their 30 day refund - they will charge it back to the seller.

If it was listed as "used" om Ebay that includes in the description " but is fully operational and functions as intended"

File a official complaint with Ebay and use their 30 day refund - they will charge it back to the seller.

The full description is

Used: An item that has been used previously. The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended. This item may be a floor model or store return that has been used. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections

and in the seller's description it says:

Condition is Used, Untested. Selling as it. [sic]

That last bit was obviously meant to be "as is."

The 'net is anarchy, and I am not a whiner: I know I blew it here; the most important thing is not the money but that I learned the lesson.

The 'net is anarchy, and I am not a whiner: I know I blew it here; the most important thing is not the money but that I learned the lesson.

It's not really a lesson, just a faulty bit of kit. Even the best sellers can suffer from this. Just make a complain and return, no drama. I'll wager the seller isn't even aware.

eBay is a great source of used and long-obsolete parts, it shouldn't be dismissed over 1 incident.