DHRIO Help

Ryan_Flowers

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

We have a ControlLogix chassis 1756-PA72/B with a 1756-ENBT/A (F/W Rev 1.40) in slot 0 that is converting, or bridging, a DH+ signal from a 1756-DHRIO/C (F/W Rev 5.03) in slot 1. This is so that we can use regular ethernet to communicate with some of our older equipment alongside the new ones.

The problem I am having is that the Ethernet IP Module is connected and working seemingly fine but the DHRIO module has a CNFG FALT(#71 + #72) and I cannot view my end devices through the bridge.
Since I can ping the ENBT module, there is no diagnostic light trouble, and can see the web portal with it's assigned static IP in my web browser, this is why I am assuming this module is fine. For the CNFG FALT on the DHRIO module corrective actions in the manual state that it is not in the correct backplane slot. This cannot be the case because no matter which slot I put it in I have the same result.

Can someone help me with what I may be missing?

Thanks

From the computer you're pinging the ENBT, can you see that module in RS-Linx Classic?

If so, when you expand the backplane, can you see the DHRIO module?

If so, what do you see if you right-click and pull up Module Configuration -> Channel Configuration tab?

Also, you want to make sure the node address on the active channel(s) are not in conflict with other DH+ or RIO devices. This would only apply if the cable is plugged in, and the connector wired correctly.

It sounds like you already have the manual for the 1756-DHRIO, but I will link it here for anybody else that would like to take a gander.

Go through Chapter 4 again, and make sure your routing table and channel configuration are correct. I would put it back in slot one, and make sure that the slot is set in the channel configuration screen.

That's a blast from the past !

Current firmware for those modules is:
1756-ENBT v6.006
1756-DHRIO Series C v5.004

I doubt the Ethernet firmware is the issue, but I do like to keep modules updated.

And I'm interested in what might have changed in the configuration, since it sounds like it's been running for a very long time.

The 1756-DHRIO features to access a ControlLogix over DH+ are implemented in a way that creates a backplane+slot signature, and requires that the module be configured after installation. If you move it to a different slot, or even to a different chassis, you must re-configure it.

RA Knowledgebase Article 16643 (Access Level: TechConnect) explains this in a straightforward way, and of course it's in the User Manuals.

Use RSLinx Classic to examine the configuration of the module's Routing Table carefully, and only use "Reset to Defaults" as a last resort. Changing the "Controller Slot" number to the DHRIO's own slot, then back to the CPU's slot number, might resolve this fault without affecting that important stored routing information.

My guess is that the "71" and "72" are the DH+ node numbers for Channel A and Channel B, rather than indicating something about the fault code. DH+ supports up to 64 stations, with node numbers 00 through 77 (octal).

That's a blast from the past !

Current firmware for those modules is:
1756-ENBT v6.006
1756-DHRIO Series C v5.004

I doubt the Ethernet firmware is the issue, but I do like to keep modules updated.

And I'm interested in what might have changed in the configuration, since it sounds like it's been running for a very long time.

The 1756-DHRIO features to access a ControlLogix over DH+ are implemented in a way that creates a backplane+slot signature, and requires that the module be configured after installation. If you move it to a different slot, or even to a different chassis, you must re-configure it.

RA Knowledgebase Article 16643 (Access Level: TechConnect) explains this in a straightforward way, and of course it's in the User Manuals.

Use RSLinx Classic to examine the configuration of the module's Routing Table carefully, and only use "Reset to Defaults" as a last resort. Changing the "Controller Slot" number to the DHRIO's own slot, then back to the CPU's slot number, might resolve this fault without affecting that important stored routing information.

My guess is that the "71" and "72" are the DH+ node numbers for Channel A and Channel B, rather than indicating something about the fault code. DH+ supports up to 64 stations, with node numbers 00 through 77 (octal).

Thank you for explaining the nodes to me. That does make sense and I do have a list of what the nodes of all the remote devices were prior to having this issue. However I cannot follow that link to article 16643 as it comes up with an error.

As for configuring the module, in RsLinx Classic Lite I go to Module Configuration > Channel Configuration and set the controller slot = 1 (this is the current position of the card) I then go to the Routing Table tab and after the status bar gets to 100% I get this message: "The module display data contains unexpected information and is unable to be used to create a display. A default routing table will be used." I then try to edit the backplane and DHRIO link ID's but I do not know what to set them to as I get the same message as before seemingly with any number I put as their values. Going through the manual did not present my specific situation since I'm not using this module for messaging, just as a bridge to see these old 5/04 devices in RsLinx and connect remotely to their logic. The dials on the card are both set to 0, could this have something to do with it? Also I do not have a file to load back onto this card for it's config.

I'm not the only person with access to this chassis and as far as I can tell someone must have removed this card sometime recently.

Thanks

I haven't ever encountered a corrupted routine table myself, but if there's an error message for it, obviously it can happen.

If you aren't using any of the internal routing features to make controller-to-controller MSG instruction work, or bridge old-fashioned 1784-KTX HMI interfaces, then you can happily use the Reset to Defaults buttons.

When you next browse down through the ENBT and DHRIO, RSLinx Classic should find its way through each of the CIP and PCCC features.

It looks as though it was simply a matter of resetting to default in the table tab of the configuration menu. I now see all my old devices.

Thanks for all the help!