Check operation of 1784-U2DHP

sparksy@gage

I have a 1784-U2DHP adaptor and have been trying to test it using linx. It lights the pwr led and the other 2 flash on when plugged in.
Is there a easy way to test if its still operational.

Hi,

Judging by the LED status you have described, you are trying to test it while connected to a DH+ network, yes? On the network, is there more than one DH+ node present and are they successfully communicating with each other?

The "USB" LED should be flashing Green if network traffic is detected. So that seems correct.

But the "DH+ Network" LED is also flashing Green. It should be solid ON Green if successfully communicating on the DH+ network.

As it's flashing, my first guess would be the communication rate is not set correctly?

This is important...

When you connect, the rate switch on the side of the 1784-U2DHP may initially be set incorrectly for the network rate. You cannot just switch the rate and expect it to automatically establish good communications. You must disconnect the USB cable from the computer, change the rate switch, and then reconnect the USB cable. Only on power up is the rate set in the adapter.

Also important...

It is good practice to stop the RSLinx Classic driver each time before you disconnect the USB cable from the computer. Otherwise RSLinx Classic may become unresponsive.

Also make sure you are using a valid and unique node address for the adapter between 0 - 77 octal.

Regards,
George

Thanks Geospark.
Yes trying to test it on a DH+ connection on a slc504 , nothing else is connected.

Am setting the dh+ coms up on the 504 but I think I need the driver for the 1784-U2DHP. There is a unidentified usb device in the device manager but I cant find the driver on rockwell site.

Oh, we'll take a step back so...

Which Windows Operating System are you using?

What version of RSLinx Classic are you using?

Let's check your computer first...

If using RSLinx Classic v2.53 or newer, the Windows driver files for this adapter should have been automatically installed under (OS dependent)...

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLINX\PnP_Drivers\1784-U2DHP

Or...

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockwell Automation\1784-U2DHP

Or...

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Automation\1784-U2DHP

Or similar.

Have you got such a folder and files?

If so, you can try right-clicking on the unrecocnized USB device and Update Driver, navigating to this "1784-U2DHP" folder.

If you are using a new enough version of RSLinx Classic but the files are not there for some reason, then you can look in the RSLinx Classic installation files (if you have them) and install them manually. Search your computer for the folder...

Redist\RSLinx\ENU\Redist\

Or the file...

DriverPKGx64.msi (for 64-bit)

Or similar. If found run the file and then check/update the USB device again. You are basically looking for the file "1784_u2dhp.inf" to install the correct driver. You could just start by searching for that?

If you happen to be using an older version of RSLinx Classic, then you would have to download the driver files from Rockwell. This is not so obvious to find...

Navigate to the Product Compatibility & Download Center webpage then:

Click "PC Cards" > "Learn More"
Select "1784-PC_Cards"
This will place "1784-PC_Cards" under the Selections List Box
Select "Find Downloads"
Click on "Downloads"
Click on "Drivers for 1784 PC Cards"

The "1784_u2dhp.zip" file should then be available in the "Downloads" folder on your computer.

We'll first try get that USB device showing as a "1784-U2DHP" under the Ports section, and then see how you fair.

Regards,
George

Thank you George
Got a bit confused with trying to find the drivers on the rockwell site but eventually found them as a text file not .INI

Have it now working well with the 504, linx classic lite 2.54.
Its running on XP.
Again thanks for all your help.

Regards
Wayne