Magelis WebGate without sourcecode

DavidN

Hi all,
Im new to both this forum and to PLC/HMI programming so I hope someone can help me out a bit.

My problem: I need Schneider WebGate installed on a HMI(GTO2310)

I do not have the source code or a backup project file for the software running on the HMI.

Is there a way to just install the WebGate functionality on the HMI without reprogramming it? Like putting some files on the SD card or something?

Or is it possible to decompile the software currently running on the HMI to a project file so I can add the option for WebGate trough Vijeo Desginer before compiling again and downloading to HMI?

Best Regards
David

I believe that the webgate is already there but needs enabling, to do this I believe you need to have the file and enable the function & re-download it.
It's a long time since I did one but never enabled the web gate so this is a bit of a guess, however, I have done remote access on many other HMI's and this usually means uploading the application to the pc, modifying it and downloading it again, but if you do not have the original or the HMI is password protected then your up a creek without a paddle.
I believe the upload can only be done if the person who downloaded it enabled the include editor checkbox.

Thanks for the reply :)

By going trough every single file in the project and changing variables and configs I have now managed to get the Web Server running on the HMI.

I can now access the HMI trough ethernet but still I cant use the ActiveX controller to see the screen. I do now get a reply that the panels is not published.

I thought it should be possible to globally publish all content on the HMI trough some config variable but it seems like that is not possible. It looks like all panels and contents need to be modified to publish on the web server.

I do not have the project backup files and they are not on the HMI.

Is there some way to backtrack and decompile a project like this?

As far as I know there is not, however, If there is a way someone here may know it, as it's the weekend I doubt you will get any replies until tomorrow.
I'm not to familiar with that HMI but on the Beijers it's a simple matter of enabling the ethernet functions and if required login details I suspect this is similar.

Hi again,

I have now kind of given up the WebGate function. If I make a new project I have no trouble making it publish all panels to the webserver. The problem comes when Im trying with the original project. Then its not working.

I have now moved over to Schneiders other ethernet tool, Vijeo DesignAir. Its an app for android or iOS.

With module I have more success. I have now access to the HMI trough internet. BUT, when adding this functionality by editing config files and drivers I have another problem. My orginal project communicates with a PLC trough Modbus. When enabling this web functionality I have to steal the location for the Modbus driver. The orginal project is made with only one driver and when adding another one I get an error for error in the communication system file.

I have located this file to be an file called comx.kdf. The problem is that that file contains all data for communication with the PLC, including a little bit over 3000 variables. On top of that the file is only semi readable in clear text and some of it is in weird letters and symbols. I have no clue at all where to edit this file to enable the HMI to load 2 drivers instead of 1.

Damn I have spent 40 hours this weekend with trial and error. I cant quit now :D

Any one knows anything about comx.kdf in a schneider HMI project?

No idea how to make the changes you want without using Vijeo Designer.
If you dont have the original vdz file for Vijeo designer then you will have to start recreating the program. If the screen fails tomorow what will you do?
If you had the vdz file then I could help you easily for the webgate and the vijeo deisgn air app

I do not have any vdz file. I only have the already compiled software on an SD card. There I can find all kind of files and I have atleast managed to get the webserver to run, to get the Remotedisplay.dlm driver to load and also activated webgate. Its only the small last step that now fails. Its irritating. I really tought that I nailed it when I finaly got the screen to connect to my phone.

I do not understand what the problem is now. The only thing that is not working is to load both the Remotedisplay.dlm driver at the same time as loading the Modbus.dlm driver. If I modify the config to load only one of them, that function works flawless. But as soon I change the line "Numberofdrivers" variable in the project.cfg file to 2 instead of 1 it gives me the error of incompatible version of the communication system file.

If the screen breaks I can easily just program another one by just putting the SD card in the new one and load the software from there. To make the software from scratch is not an option as it is way to much unknown parameters to sort out. I do not have the source code for the PLC that the HMI is connected to...

I do not have any vdz file. I only have the already compiled software on an SD card. There I can find all kind of files and I have atleast managed to get the webserver to run, to get the Remotedisplay.dlm driver to load and also activated webgate. Its only the small last step that now fails. Its irritating. I really tought that I nailed it when I finaly got the screen to connect to my phone.

I do not understand what the problem is now. The only thing that is not working is to load both the Remotedisplay.dlm driver at the same time as loading the Modbus.dlm driver. If I modify the config to load only one of them, that function works flawless. But as soon I change the line "Numberofdrivers" variable in the project.cfg file to 2 instead of 1 it gives me the error of incompatible version of the communication system file.

If the screen breaks I can easily just program another one by just putting the SD card in the new one and load the software from there. To make the software from scratch is not an option as it is way to much unknown parameters to sort out. I do not have the source code for the PLC that the HMI is connected to...

You can't manually edit the files of the compiled project on the SD card, that simply will not work (as you ave discovered) as above you will need to make modifications in the project, compile it and then re download it to the SD card, without the original .VDZ you haven't got a hope of making it work.

But as soon I change the line "Numberofdrivers" variable in the project.cfg file to 2 instead of 1 it gives me the error of incompatible version of the communication system file.

Vijeo designer is your friend on this.

Install it and make dummy project without webgate and with webgate enabled.

Then on download settings select file system and download path to your laptops c: drive (diffrent folders)

Download different files to your laptops folders, now you can use any compare program to view where there is differences between two projects. (Winmerge or examdiff like example)

That is only way how you reverse engineer files.

(and there is at least 5 different lines on project.cfg which are missing if webgate isn't enabled.

Maybe other files have diffrences also, but It will take a lot of time, and maybe you still need to reprogram full panel on designer.

You can't manually edit the files of the compiled project on the SD card, that simply will not work (as you ave discovered) as above you will need to make modifications in the project, compile it and then re download it to the SD card, without the original .VDZ you haven't got a hope of making it work.

Since I have already managed to get it both to launch a webserver and activate WebGate I know it is possible to edit files on the SD card. The problem with WebGate is probably to hard to beat without sourcecode as it seems like all individual panels ans variables has to be published before compilation.

The story with Vijeo DesignAir is way different. The only thing now is to modify the comx file to accept two drivers instead of one. As I have discovered the Remotedisplay.dlm driver doesnt need any instructions in the comx.kdf to work and the the instructions for Modbus is already compiled in the comx.kdf. This means that the only thing that is wrong now is that the comx.kdf is set to one driver and not two.

Im pretty sure it is possible to make this work with some trial and error and help from more experienced programers.

Vijeo designer is your friend on this.

Install it and make dummy project without webgate and with webgate enabled.

Then on download settings select file system and download path to your laptops c: drive (diffrent folders)

Download different files to your laptops folders, now you can use any compare program to view where there is differences between two projects. (Winmerge or examdiff like example)

That is only way how you reverse engineer files.

(and there is at least 5 different lines on project.cfg which are missing if webgate isn't enabled.

Maybe other files have diffrences also, but It will take a lot of time, and maybe you still need to reprogram full panel on designer.

I have Vijeo Designer and have tried that method alot to create new programs with different settings to compare the outcome.

It is no problem to edit the project.cfg file to enable and disable WebGate. That change doesnt make any errors at all when I start it. Webgate starts and I can connect to it. But it doesnt publish panels.

Viejo DesignAir is my best chance. But I need to find the line that allows for two drivers instead of one.

There is no source code on the SD.