You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.
Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back - Interactive Q & A > - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old November 1st, 2017, 10:17 PM   #1

what is motion control with PLC

Hey Guys, Some of you may know I am pretty new to this plc world. I have a silly question!

What is motion control and where do I need it and how I do motor control with PLC?

My research and assumption, motion control is controlling the motion or movement of a part with PLC and how can I move the part of my machine? use servo motor and stepper motor?

Now, Which motor should I use?

How do I control the servo motor?I need servo card in my PLC rack.

Why do i need servo card? Because How I can't control my AC motor directly with output card so I use contactor to control it similarly to control the servo motor, I need servo card and my output will go to servo card and control the motor through the servo card.

What do you think? Do I have the basic idea about the concept of motion control?

Please explain it to me!

Junior Control Engineer
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live
Old November 2nd, 2017, 03:26 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

#1 Depends on the PLC and drives. Some need an extra servo card, some don't.

#2 You need a well tuned variable speed drive and motor. AC, DC, Servo, Stepper, even hydraulics work.

#3 You need to decide if you actually NEED servo type control.

#4 You have to define what types of motion control you are seeking... Velocity? Positioning? Speeds? Accuracy requirements? Motion control indeed is designed to control, well, motion. Speed profiling, camming, synchronization...but not all motion control requires servo response. A traversing winder can run perfectly fine just as a speed follower. A flying shear cannot.

#5 No, a contactor controlling a motor across the line will not work. (Well, unless it is starting a hydraulic pump, for a hydraulic motion system).

So, what are you actual requirements and questions? I think you are mixing too many things together above, pick one, and ask about it.
How to ask questions the SMART Way!

Look First, Ask Second!

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum