Naming ControlLogix / CompactLogix programs .

Cydog

Good Morning ,

We have a few ControlLogix and CompactLogix programs. I always wondered
about naming these programs. The processor has its own name , correct ? So you can really name the program anything , and still download and upload , correct ? I imagine there are some rules on length ? Do you have any advice on
naming SLC 500 programs ? I imagine the rules are different ?

Thanks for your willingness to help ,

The filename is usually the processor name, as it appears in the windows title bar, see first photo.

But if they don't match it's not a problem, as the title bar reflects this, see photo 2.

I do like to keep them the same though, just my preference....

EDIT : I think the length limit is 82 characters, I'll check.....

EDIT : It is 40 characters max for the Controller Name.....

2018-02-11_142818.jpg 2018-02-11_143004.jpg

Last edited:
Standard convention in my industry (automotive) is the processor name is the machine asset ID (old school brass tag #). Tasks are organized by station and the task name is the station # and function (eg: Sta_2_Press), routines in each tasks are organized by function, usually motion.

In Logix500 (SLC etc.) the processor name can be anything as well, but it is not shown in RSLogix500 title bar as RSLogix5000 does.

Logix500 processor name is limited to 8 characters.