Allen Bradley 1734 Remote IO

nmurray

Is there any reason to match revision exactly to what was installed??

Lets say I have a OB8 card and its 3.022 revision.
Is there any reason not to set the PLC to 3.001 (earliest minor revision).

I don't think I've ever changed a Point IO module revision from whatever it defaults to when you create it.

I mean, there may well be perfectly good reasons to do so, but I've not found one yet.

A bit of information: The first few years of 1734 I/O were built mostly for DeviceNet and ControlNet adapters, and are not compatible with the 1734-AENT or 1734-AENTR.

Those Ethernet adapters, of course, have become the great majority of POINT I/O new installations. You will always use Series C (version 3.x firmware) I/O modules with those adapters.

Many programmers / engineers suffer from a mild OCD. To them, it just feels wrong if the minor rev doesn't match exactly, even if there is no practical advantage for doing so.

Be kind to us them; they suffer for their art.

Many programmers / engineers suffer from a mild OCD. To them, it just feels wrong if the minor rev doesn't match exactly, even if there is no practical advantage for doing so.

Be kind to us them; they suffer for their art.

Yet you they seem to get real upset when I say "Oh, I always just disable keying as a first step of troubleshooting / permanently after machine acceptance."

"But... But... there could be different features on different firmware levels!"

"It's a basic 16 point IO card or a drive with a command word and a speed reference. It's most likely going to work. Requiring Bubba the shift electrician (as Ron Beaufort would call him) to determine the firmware versions and flash the replacement module at 3AM is guaranteed not to work.

A few years back I got a middle-of-the-night call in after a shift electrician was struggling and failed to find the appropriate firmware for a replacement Powerflex 70 drive. I came in, looked at the IO tree said "$#%^ing keying" :mad:, disabled it, and immediately the replacement drive worked.

I've also had untold amounts of grief with Devicenet and keying. Apparently when a 1770-KFD is connected to a network with a scanner card, it communicates through the scanner card (at least in my experience with a SLC). If the scanner will ignore a node because of keying, the KFD won't see it either.

Thats kinda all the responses I expected.. I was just curious if there was any advantage to matching it, to me it seems like less issues in the future if you set it to the lowest possible minor revision.
The disable keying I could see an issue, however the way these are designed you have to turn that pin in the base to put in an incorrect module, so I would hope that would make something think twice before inserting the card.