Suggestions for a smart relay?

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm considering a micro 810 for this purpose. It is an outdoor pit pump application with a single submersible 3 phase pump and two float switches (high level and low level) to start and stop the pit pump. Has anyone had these outdoors for a prolonged period? Look at about -15F to 115F ambient with no shade, so it will get pretty hot in that box. That falls well within the operating range of the controller.

There will also be an audio-visual indicator on alarm if anyone has any recommendations.

https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/Micro810

Why not to use a simple level monitoring relay?
Looks a very simple application.

I'm not sure how a level monitoring relay will handle any alarming, but I was also asked to include the ability get run times at a later date. Seems the micro810 fits the bill, while being pretty tough. A programmable control was also specifically requested.

The Micro810 "In my opinion" would be a perfect choice for this application.

I have used the 810 several times for outdoor remote applications and they are still working
flawlessly!

If you want to get fancy how about a 820 then you can email the alarm? I have not used the email on them yet so not sure how much of a pain it is to setup.

Not sure on the temp, I try and stay about 70 deg, has not worked out lately

The Micro810 "In my opinion" would be a perfect choice for this application.

I have used the 810 several times for outdoor remote applications and they are still working
flawlessly!

Fantastic damica1. That was what I was hoping to hear. Just for fun, here is one of the reasons it is getting a programmable controller:

https://i.imgur.com/TPnH4Iy.jpg

The micro 810 sounds like a great fit.

I’d suggest you get the LCD screen with it. I’ve done similar applications for motor testing with a micro 810 where they wanted run times / number of cycles /etc included. I used the LCD screen, to make a simple HMI that displayed all of said data and on the screen and the buttons allow resetting counters/etc without having to log on. (keep in mind, I did this back with V2 of CCW software – so I’m sure there are much better features at V12)

If you think they want to constantly check/change data, I’d go for a micro 820. I haven’t had a chance to do a ton with one yet, but I know the micro 820 allows the use of an SD card, so you can do actual data logging on that. Also, you can send files to/from the customer to load on the SD card and when they plug it in and power on the plc, it can read timer values/etc from the data on the SD card to adjust settings.

The micro 820 also has a remote LCD similar to the 810 but a little larger, and it can be mounted into the panel (unlike the micro 810 where the LCD must be on the controller)
Should be sub $200 for the micro 810 with LCD and programming port. I’m thinking around $400 for the micro 820 with LCD.

I've been through this exercise before. The Micro800 line is rated for up to 55C ambient (131F) and down to 0C (+32F), as are manyt of the standard "smart relay" products. The only one I know of that's better is that Siemens has a "SIPLUS" version of their LOGO! smart relay that is extended to 60C (140F).

The Idec SmartRelay product is actually the Siemens LOGO! that Idec brand labels FROM Siemens (not the other way around as most people assume). But Siemens does not let Idec brand label the SIPLUS version with the higher temperature rating, so theirs is 55C like the standard LOGO! unit..

All of the other smart relays I have looked at are either 40C, 50C or 55C max. None of them are rated for operation at below 0C (they are rated for storage at down to -20C but not operation) however that's easier to deal with by just using enclosure heaters.

I've been through this exercise before. The Micro800 line is rated for up to 55C ambient (131F) and down to 0C (+32F), as are manyt of the standard "smart relay" products. The only one I know of that's better is that Siemens has a "SIPLUS" version of their LOGO! smart relay that is extended to 60C (140F).

The Idec SmartRelay product is actually the Siemens LOGO! that Idec brand labels FROM Siemens (not the other way around as most people assume). But Siemens does not let Idec brand label the SIPLUS version with the higher temperature rating, so theirs is 55C like the standard LOGO! unit..

All of the other smart relays I have looked at are either 40C, 50C or 55C max. None of them are rated for operation at below 0C (they are rated for storage at down to -20C but not operation) however that's easier to deal with by just using enclosure heaters.
Really DON'T care whether Siemens manufacture Smart Relays for IDEC or Vice Versa. The IDEC software is IMHO way easier and simpler to use for the average programmer than bloated and over complex SIEMENS application.
My 2 cents

check out the automation direct click. Software isnt bad, much better than Idec or siemens IMHO. I havent fooled with CCW in years but my experience with it was terrible. It has the same temp rating as the micro800.