TIA Portal Help

Some later versions can upload older ones, but not all and with various results.. For instance, you can upload, but it will stay as "different" and you can't watch it online..
That would be consistent with how it works, even if you have the original TIA project.
When you change TIA version, TIA want to compile the program before going online, and when you compile the program blocks all get new timestamps, so are no longer same as online. Catch-22.
Exactly this is the most aggrevating problem with TIA. For every new release i hope that Siemens has fixed this, but so far nope.

First, try seeing your CPU by looking at the attached picture.

Go to Online Access in the Project Tree
Under the specific Ethernet adapter you are using, expand it and click "Update accessible devices"
Then after it detects your device, click on "Online & diagnostics"

Then you could add your specific CPU to a new project, and then go online and upload.

TiaPortalOnlineAccess.png

read document I provided above. :sick:
When the document is named "what options are there in STEP 7 (TIA portal)" it is not clear that it is relevant to the topic.

Anyway, I read it, and it does shed some light.
It does seem that TIA can only upload the immediate previous version.
I.e. TIA V15 can upload a V14 project (*), but not a V13 project.
And V14 cannot upload any other projects but V14.

*: edit - no I was wrong, V15 can only upload an uneditable backup from V14, not the software so that you can edit or go online.

Last edited:
I just notice this in the pdf:
If you upgrade a project from version V14 or V14 SP1 to version V15/V15.1, you can then connect devices online that were loaded with version V14 or V14 SP1. The
blocks of these devices remain functional and do not have to be recompiled.
That is a new one, it addresses at least partly what I complained about in post #17.

edit: But V15/15.1 cannot upload the software from V14/V14SP1. So what do they mean with the above statement ??
The pdf is about uploading, but if you follow the logic of what is possible, the above note would be relevant if you have an offline TIA V14 project and want to upgrade to V15.

Last edited:
When the document is named "what options are there in STEP 7 (TIA portal)" it is not clear that it is relevant to the topic.

Anyway, I read it, and it does shed some light.
It does seem that TIA can only upload the immediate previous version.
I.e. TIA V15 can upload a V14 project, but not a V13 project.
And V14 cannot upload any other projects but V14.

This is just beginning of the long Siemens' sentence (y)

screenshot.png

Attachments

• What options are available in STEP 7 (TIA Portal).pdf
    54.7 KB · Views: 12
I have never had to upload with TIA, but I am curious about this.
Is it not enough that the TIA version is same or greater than the one the program was made in ?

I went to a portal class last fall by a siemens vendor, and their impression was that if you had the latest version of portal(v15) that it would be backwards compatible with "everything". Unfortunately we didn't have luck with this at all.

We had v13/v14/15 systems and basically all of them were only able to work with controllers programmed in their own version.

Perhaps this has been resolved since then, but that was in October.

Hi again,

probably this paper might be helpful to you. Read it carefully and It'll shed the light on some things...

Thanks, this one for me past the first hurdle. I uploaded the software and hardware from 2 machines tonight. I am still having trouble uploading the machine that is giving me the problem. It has a pilz safety delay connected with a pilz m ES profinet module.When I try to upload as a new device (both hardware and software), there is a error saying it cannot upload from mes_profinet.

Thanks, this one for me past the first hurdle. I uploaded the software and hardware from 2 machines tonight. I am still having trouble uploading the machine that is giving me the problem. It has a pilz safety delay connected with a pilz m ES profinet module.When I try to upload as a new device (both hardware and software), there is a error saying it cannot upload from mes_profinet.
Are you trying to upload from the Pilz device, or from the PLC ?
I do not think you can upload from the Pilz device itself into TIA.
The S7-1500 hardware configuration incl. safety should be possible to upload, provided it was made with TIA 14SP1 or greater, and it was released to upload in the safety configuration. See chapter 2.5 in this manual:
https://cache.industry.siemens.com/...5_Programming-Guideline-Safety_DOC_V10_en.pdf

I am also guessing you will have to provide the password for the safety program.

Disclaimer: I dont actually have experience uploading from a safety S7 PLC.

Hi there,

Since TIA Portal itself and S7-1200/1500s became very popular on this side of the pond, at least. I believe, you definetely will able to find just enormous big number of movies and even channels devoted to those products on youtube.

Just make a query on 'TIA, S7-1200, S7-1500'. I'm sure the most of answers you asked above, you'll find watching related videos.

Been through it a few times myself, really.

Also, there's a support forum (for english speaking people as well), where you'll able to ask more concrete questions. https://support.industry.siemens.com/tf/us/en

BR
EStufC

Also, since this hasn't been mentioned yet, Siemens tech support is pretty good. You need to register (no charge, no support contract needed, etc), and then you can submit cases. In the USA, you're talking to a good ol boy from Tennessee, not the traditional IT support professional outsourced to Bangalore.