OT A Friday funny

Steve Bailey said:
The statement "All odd numbers are not prime" could be interpreted as meaning that none of the odd numbers are prime. Saying "Not all odd numbers are prime" is less ambiguous. Mathemeticians strive to eliminate ambiguity.

OK, I can see that. But, if I meant that no odd numbers were prime, I would have said that. So what we have here, is that mathemticians, while striving to eliminate ambiguity, have actually created more of it by corrupting common usage. For my part, i thrive on ambuguity. Even if i don't know how to spell it.

-jeff

Hakutsuru said:
As I understand it, there are a couple of different versions. I believe the most popular models are made by microsoft. Thats probably the one they are talking about. Coming from M$ you can imagine the sorts of problems they have.
How many times do you have to boot and re-boot the Microsoft ones?

Sorry, I'm just being a C-A-D (control-alt-delete) - Pun fully intended.

The real question is how many times can you get away with it before you lose half your stuff. Gone are the days when a good rap on the chassis would clear up most problems.

Again, thats why i go open source.

-jeff

Hakutsuru said:
Gone are the days when a good rap on the chassis would clear up most problems.
FACT: The origin of the term "rule of thumb" meant that was the size of the stick that a man (early England?) was allowed to beat his wife with.

Look it up if you don't believe me.

DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way advocating beating women, children, animals, or others in this forum (unless they REALLY deserve it). I'm merely stating a fact.

Mickey Mouse is in court, up on a charge of wife-beating.

The judge looks down at Mickey with gravity written all over his face (his youngest had just learned the word at school and went to work with a crayon during his morning nap)

"Mickey," the judge said, "I am at a loss to understand you, you said that your wife complained she wasn't herself that day, so you beat her up? What kind of ma - I mean, mouse, beats up his wife because she's not feeling too bright?"

Mickey sighed, "Your honour, " he squeaked, "I said I beat her up because she was feeling goofy!"

You might be an engineer if someone asks a question on a forum and you suggest a completely different approach that doesn't help them in their situation. Because that is the better way to do it.

Oh my god... I have done practically all of these at one time or another. And yeah, the cruise ships no longer give tours of anything interesting. Pretty much ruined it for me, but my wife still likes it for some reason. Trip before last, she kept scolding me because there was this neat coffee maker in the Lido deck cafeteria (well, there were several of the coffee makers) that made you a single cup quickly. They were kind of like Kourigs on steroids. Anyway, every time I got coffee I did various button combinations and finally found the way into the setup and maintenance menus, then I kept playing around in them... she didn't think I should be doing that for some reason.

The one that really made me smile was...

You go on the rides at Disneyland and sit backwards in the chairs to see how they do the special effects

About five years ago we were at Universal. We got two rides on "Back to the Future" (moving platform with video projection) because the program crashed for some reason halfway thru our ride. It took them about ten minutes to fix it and restart. My wife said "Admit it! The whole time we were sitting there you were just praying for somebody to come on the PA and ask "Is there a Controls Engineer in the room??" Huh. How did she know...

Paul T

Paul T said:
Anyway, every time I got coffee I did various button combinations and finally found the way into the setup and maintenance menus, then I kept playing around in them... she didn't think I should be doing that for some reason.
Reminds me of the time (controls engineer that I am) that I was screwing around with the automatic scoring machine on my lane before my bowling session started.

I can't just enter the names of my teammates and I. No sir. I find the language screen and change everything to Mandarin! And it was NOT easy to undo.

My teammates laughed so hard until I resourcefully went to the adjacent lane and did the same thing to it, keeping track of the button sequences until I figured out how to restore English.

To this day, they never let me forget it...But they do remember that I did fix it. And without calling the pimply-faced teenaged kid at the front desk.

RussB said:
Ahhh-yes the "Three-Finger-Salute"

Remember this one?
CAD.jpg

On the way to work this morning, the car in front of me stopped at a green light because a blind man had entered the intersection. I was following too closely and smashed right into the back of the stopped car. Out jumps a small person, a dwarf, and looks at the extensive damage to his car and starts shaking his head as he approaches me still seated in my car. He shouts to me, "I'm not Happy!" I reply, "Oh, so which one are you? Grumpy?"

Speaking of that, when a newbie programmer comes in, the first thing we do is ask him how high he can count on one hand. Then we tell him he may begin his training when he figures out how to get to 31. Usually takes a day or 2 before they come back and ask how to do it.

good thing he didn't know sign language you can count as high as you want in that method

I asked my boys (both 13) how high they could count on one hand last night; one said 6 including 0 and one said as high as you want if you teach me sign language...