Drinking Guinness and driving on the wrong side of the road...

Can't believe I've been away the past while and missed all this....... catch ye next time Terry,

Cead Mile Failte !

The Grass is Always Greener...

Yes, the Guinness is Good. you got that right!

Been living here for 7 years now though, and I have to say that I don't think I have ever gone 3 days without encountering terrible drivers. You got very lucky there, Terry! Country drivers can be very nice at times, but more often than not (and especially around Dublin) you get the guys who got their liscense- if they have one- off the back of a cereal box.

Dublin is now one of the most expensive cities in europe to live in, so bring plenty of cash if you want to go out on the town. I would have to agree that Ireland is best seen outside of the major cities, just make sure to stop and get out of the car, the view is always better when you can see over the hedges...

Ireland Sucks....

Why you guys enjoy this dump so much is beyond me....Glad you enjoyed it though. Try sitting on the Dublin M50 in traffic every morning and you'll soon change your tune ;)

Guinness is not jut Guinness

Back in 1992-1993 I set up some hefty draught beer installations on board the ships between Ireland and England

The systems were based on one single centralized walk in cooler, with insulated tubing out to all the bars/dispensing points. The tapping points were fitted with shut-off solenoids and flowmeters, connected to some electronics that captured the dispensed amount of beer and soft drinks and feed the information back to the cash registers for comparison.

We made the first installation on a new ship being built in Holland. The contract was made with the Yard/shipbuilder, but the installation was to be approved of by Guinnees, who were rather reluctant to let their precious brew through our centralized and computerized pipes.

We therefore agreed that Guinness reps should come to Holland and approve the system, by actually dispensing and tasting some pints.

The day was set and the Yard ordered 10 kegs of Guinness from the local ship chandler, we primed the system and awaited the judges to arrive from Dublin…

Upon arrival we walked them round the bars and showed the installation and eventually we got to the walk in cooler , which was our pride with automatic keg changers, fob stoppers, racks and bells and whistles.

One of the Guinness guys went straight over to the kegs and exclaimed: THAT IS NOT GUINNES!

I was stunned - the label looked like a genuine Guinness label to me.

That is not Guinness from the river Liffy , that is continental Guinness, we are NOT testing with that!

Where upon they all went back to Dublin, and said they would come back a week later with some real kegs!

In the meantime I leant that Guinness brews two types of Guinness: Irish and continental Guinness, the main difference being that one is 4,6% alcohol and the other 5,1%.

At the time being I laughed at the Guinness reps, but later I got to recognize that Guinness have built a VERY strong brand and dedicated employees.

Anyway they came back to Holland a week later, with Irish kegs,and the system was approved of, and I leant that Guinness isn’t just Guinness….

And Yes I miss Ireland too

MorphuisOGrady said:
Why you guys enjoy this dump so much is beyond me....Glad you enjoyed it though. Try sitting on the Dublin M50 in traffic every morning and you'll soon change your tune ;)

Maybe it was better two years ago when this thread was started.

Never tried it, but the Nigerian Guinness is supposed to be good. 7.5% ABV
Originally is was brewed in Dublin extra strong to stand up to the trip to Nigeria, but now they brew it there.
I once went round the Dublin brewery to look at the Controls (Siemens) but I did not get a beer till we left for a nearby pub!

Hi All And Terry

Just a small note to say that I am glad you found our little contry
a big success.We (most of us)do try to make all welcome to our little ,mostly wet country.

And as for not starting till 8 ish or 9 ish, you must have missed
me on your tour of Tipperary Ha Ha !!

If you are coming back again drop me a line and I can let you in on some places that we keep to ourselves.

I am going to the Automation fair does anyone have some tips for me.It will be my first time in Chicago.

Donnchadh K

Tipperary
Ireland