Ignition Maker Edition

I was on the webinar, and Travis did a demo of his home automation setup, this goes far beyond just a few of us with PLCs. The webinar will probably be on Inductive's youtube channel in the next day or so.

Smart move on their part, take a page from Rockwell. I see this getting into teacher and students hands much like AB PLCs did.

This video shows the bulk of the webinar. Very cool for home automation projects. Completely free. Requires activating a license online and a persistent Internet connection.

The APIs Travis uses with his home automation system (8:30) are crazy: Adt (security?), Directv, Iaqualink (Pool), Nest (Thermostat), Rachio (yard), Ring (doorbell), Samsung (Appliances), Tesla (car), Unifi (router?), Weather, Wyze (cameras). Over the top tying in Alexa through his Amazon Echo.

Last edited:
It’s the full blown Ignition platform, which is extremely capable, with few limitations. The connection is only used to periodically re-issue the (free) license activation.

The activation system lays in the groundwork for lightweight, elastic instances that can rapidly spin up and down, an option the community has been asking for - Docker container/orchestration support. Consider the back end architecture of most of the apps on your phone or web sites that you currently enjoy. More flexibility, capability, survivability achieved with less server compute. Operate like Google, Amazon, now even Microsoft. BTW, this scheme could be extended in different ways to support Enterprise Architectures (on prem activation server, non-Internet connection, proxied connection, etc)

Last edited:
It’s the full blown Ignition platform, which is extremely capable, with few limitations.

It does not include the "vision" module which is the client that is normally used to connect to the "gateway"/server. Instead it includes the new web based perspective module for presenting the HMI to the user.

A great move on their part to get their software in to the hands of the masses and out of the relative niche it is in.

This isn't particularly nice though...

They did mention they were looking into a persistent license without the phone-home.

I had the same sort of thing with a CAD package that only got occasional use. Had to refresh the license about every time I used it. Pretty frustrating.

Bacnet and the pidbot modules.

Not sure if BACNet is on or off the table long term - I'd put in the request on the IA form. Re: pidbot, 3rd party module developers have to re-compile to "opt in".

They did mention they were looking into a persistent license without the phone-home.

I had the same sort of thing with a CAD package that only got occasional use. Had to refresh the license about every time I used it. Pretty frustrating.

You shouldn't have to manually do anything after the initial license generation and entry. The software should connect periodically on it's own to refresh its license. The intent is for the activation process to be completely seamless to the user.

Not sure if BACNet is on or off the table long term - I'd put in the request on the IA form.

Regardless, I honestly don't think BACnet would be a high priority for many maker type applications, which seem to be the official target. Then again, I'm half-suprised they kept comms in for AB/Siemens/etc.

It does not include the "vision" module which is the client that is normally used to connect to the "gateway"/server. Instead it includes the new web based perspective module for presenting the HMI to the user.
To be fair to them, in a home automation setting most people wouldn't use the regular client either way. I don't want to have a PC running just to see my home SCADA, particularly when I can access it through a browser on my phone, tablet or normal computer without launching a new app.

This being said, it may well be a way for them to test and trial a future solution where we won't require to launch the client application. Give it to the makers to iron the quirks out and then drive it to the industry.

The activation system lays in the groundwork for lightweight, elastic instances that can rapidly spin up and down, an option the community has been asking for - Docker container/orchestration support. Consider the back end architecture of most of the apps on your phone or web sites that you currently enjoy. More flexibility, capability, survivability achieved with less server compute. Operate like Google, Amazon, now even Microsoft. BTW, this scheme could be extended in different ways to support Enterprise Architectures (on prem activation server, non-Internet connection, proxied connection, etc)

I know, I'm just old and don't like things that need to phone home. Thinking a bit more about it instead of letting my instinct take over, it's a fair compromise for home automation considering the price tag. :)
Still not something I would accept in industry though.

Then again, I'm half-suprised they kept comms in for AB/Siemens/etc.

A lot of Siemens kit isn't dreadfully expensive. I also very much doubt the typical Arduino user even knows what ignition or a SCADA is. Leaving the major PLC comms there allows the platform to be taken in by people that would use it in their jobs (which is the audience that will pay for this in the end).
The other goal that they may be looking at is also something taken from the Arduino page which is to create a community around the product that will share their creations like blocks, pop-ups, etc which will bring even more people to use the platform as a whole.

If one isn't using a DCS style framework like PCS7 or PlantPAx, creating the visualization for plant devices is quite labour intensive and partially why companies would stick with whatever SCADA they have where any modification would mostly be incremental. Ignition is similar in that regard as it doesn't come with a bunch of stuff you can easily use out of the box (though once you have a license, you can download from their share from other users). Now imagine that the community created a bunch of appealing graphics and are available when you use that platform out of the box, it's a massive benefit and time saver. ;)

You shouldn't have to manually do anything after the initial license generation and entry. The software should connect periodically on it's own to refresh its license. The intent is for the activation process to be completely seamless to the user.

I get that for Maker, and most installations of it will have internet access. The aforementioned CAD package did that too, but only upon use. As I said, it was only occasionally used, so that complicated things.

I get that for Maker, and most installations of it will have internet access. The aforementioned CAD package did that too, but only upon use. As I said, it was only occasionally used, so that complicated things.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to playing... er... seriously researching and developing with Maker.