Sending 0-10v through a 0-5v I/o

Sprayman

Hi there,

Just noticed i got a plc with 0-5v analog i/o instead of the 0-10v i thought it had.

Can i still use this with my 0-10v devices still or will i burn something up?

I understand the resolution differences and that jazz. (atleast I think i do!)

If the voltage is a problem could i run a resistor to ground at the input/output to create a divider circuit?

Thanks!

What you need is a signal conditioner that changes the 0-10V signal.

There are many brands and spec's. Almost all can change the output to 0-5V or 1-5V, along with other outputs.

If you are certain the signal voltage will not go over 5V you can wire it direct to the PLC input and scale the input raw reading.

Ah thanks! Ya, i will definitely be getting 0-10v. Its a meanwell power supply.

So if put the 0-10 directly into the 0-5 i will damage something it sounds like?

Possibly. It depends on the input module itself. Some plc analog inputs have overvoltage protection to a certain level. So you may or may not cook it. However, once you get over 5 VDC you will definitely not see any change in the input value.

Keith

Ah gotcha that makes sense. i figured it wasnt a scaling issue. so i would just bypass the usable data range. Welp looks like i'll be using those as 4-20 after all!

A single loop controller uses a two 100K ohm resistors in series for a 0-10Vdc signal into a 0-5vdc input, as shown below

UDC-2500-0-10-Vdc-with-divider.jpg

I personally wouldn't do this on a production machine but if you are just trying this as a test, the voltage divider idea might work. It depends on how high the input impedance of the analog input is and how much driver current capability the analog output from the sensor has.

Keith

Originally posted by danw:

A single loop controller uses a two 100K ohm resistors in series for a 0-10Vdc signal into a 0-5vdc input, as shown below

...assuming the analog input impedance is well above 100k ohms. In an industrial setting analog input impedance is a bit of a compromise. Make it too high and you might have noise issues. Make it too low and some sensors can't drive it.

Keith

It is indeed a click PLC, i spend a little more time looking at expansion cards instead of the main unit. Didn't notice it was a 0-5 input, trying to figure out the easiest remedy.

Exact model is the C0-12DRE-D

And i was wrong, the singal will be coming from our T201CDH seneca current transducer

https://cdn.automationdirect.com/static/specs/c012dred.pdf

Here is the link to it with some of the details of the input

From what i can see there is already a voltage divider in there? So if were to just go the resistor route, those 2 inside would be in series, so I would need to add a 20kohm outside between the input and ground?

Last edited:
T201DC is a DC loop powered 4-20 mA current transducer.

Use a precision 250 ohm resistor across the voltage analog input to develop a 1-5Vdc signal. Scale the input for an offset of 20% above "zero".