RsLogix 5000 to excel database

stallone

hello all,

i am tying to setup logging from my compact logix plc to an excel spreadsheet and database.

I have RsLogix 5000 v19 and using rslinx gateway.

I would like to log about 10 bits in the PLC program,

when the bit is activated and then reset.

Im using ALMD instuctions.

Is there a way to read/send automatically these tags to the excel spreadsheet and also have a way to see this data in a spreadsheet or report.

I do have ftview se edition but was hoping to just use what i have in the above.

thank you for the link,

yes i have read that and it explains how to view the live data in excel,

but how do i record this data and capture to a report/spreadsheet automatically, like daily or on every event change?

The only way I know of is to use VBA (may be you need to add it as it may not be installed as default). That way you could populate another sheet based on some sort of trigger i.e. a tag change or on time. It is some time since I have used VBA in Excel and I have never used it to collect data direct from a plc, however, I have used the VBA to query an SQL Database and format the data as a report, the data was logged to an SQL server DB via a number of Scada systems.

to use RSLinx to read / Write to an AB processor you will need a RSLinx Pro license on the computer the last time i looked they were expensive.
you can also get a third party driver to communicate to
i would recommend you check out https://ingeardrivers.com/

with a developer license you set up as many as you need

i do have an Rslinx full licence and i can do the opc thing.

I just do not know how to execute it.

I do not need to write to the plc,

i just need to log/store about 10 tags in the plc program,

when it was activated, reset, etc.

@Mister x, thank you i have had a look, this can capture the

details but how to store it or send to a report automatically.

@GaryS, thank you, i see they also charge over $300

Perhaps the best way would be to save the data to a CSV file, you can write the VBA code to take the data from a sheet in excel & write it to a CSV.
Probably the best way is to download SQL Server Express, this is free and you could create a database and post the data here, then use Excel to create a query and format it into a report. I used to do this.
If I can find it I have a spreadsheet I created that interrogated a SQL DB and formatted it to produce a report. You will need to write some SQL scripts in Excel. I do not have Excel on this PC but I do have one with it on somewhere I will try to find it.

RSLinx does not use OPC it uses DDE

Here's a link that should help
https://realpars.com/dde/

if you already have a license for the RSLinx then this is what i would go with
one thing the RSLinx license is only good for one computer each computer it is used on requires a separate license but one computer can read from multiple PLC's using RSLinx
I hope that helps

It depends on what you want from the reports, is it just local or on your company intranet. I was one of the lucky ones, our IT Dept. was very helpful (took some convincing), The site servers had SQL and they created DB's for our data logging, this was done by Scada systems & in some cases bespoke software to log the data, I created spread sheets where any person (who had permissions) to use the spreadsheets to select a date range, grab the data & use it in the report, this was all done in VBA and could not be manipulated without my password in other words the reports were read only.
So there are a number of options if you want this as cheap as possible.
Collect the data via DDE in excel & log it to CSV files these can be imported into spreadsheets to create reports, one suggestion is a daily one where the filename is date & possibly time of start (easy to find using a calendar control).
Write SQL scripts to log the data to either a server SQL DB or even a local one.
Create spread sheets where again you could use a date picker and format the data on a spreadsheet using VBA.
Or use something like Kepware OPC server, this has the capability of writing directly to an SQL DB

Last edited: