Sizing a Surge Protector / Filter

timryder

Hey guys,

I have a machine going to Mexico and they're requesting me to put a Surge Protector/Filter on the secondary 120vac of my 5kva transformer. The total max power consumption i have on the circuit is about 36A total at 120vac single phase. I have several items on this cicruit including an air conditioner, fume extraction system (vacuum), 24v power supply and a few other powered devices.

So how do I size this thing? They recommend one for me which was an Allen-Bradley but the documentation on the thing said it's good for 10 amps. Does that mean that it's only capable of having 10 amps continuous current running through it? because I need clearly about 36 for the application.

What rating should I be looking at to make sure it's going to work.

Please ask any questions I am not providing and help me choose a good model.

Thanks guys in advance!

Tim

Would something like a SOLA/HeviDuty CVS Series Power Conditioner work? They make a 5 kva one that fits your voltage requrement. I have seen them used on the supply to PLCs.

So I can pick one out but what I am more interested in, is does the surge protector have to be sized for the maximum capacity of the circuit? I know that there are rating for how much inrush it can handle and other filtering specifics but what do I need to do for sizing the maximum amount of current that can pass through it?

Thanks.

From what I can tell by reading through some of the documentation on the SOLA website the size determines the range over which the power conditioner keeps the output voltage within 1%. It also mentions a overload rating of 1.65x rated current. So you could probably get your 36 Amps out of a 3000 VA Unit, but I don't know if that really is the way to go.
If it was me I would probably go with the 5000 VA unit.

NEC 70 - you must use a 5kva transformer.

Its made in the USA, so rules apply.

Why would you risk it and have to goto mexico and replace the transformer.
why endure the wrath of your boss?
why chance loosing a customer and ruin your companies and your reputation?
put in the 5kva system.
RULE #1 when sizing a transformer, someone always wants to add something after the machine is delivered!!
james

So I already have a 5kVA Distribution transformer as the main source of power for the 120vac. It's a 480 3phase system (30 A) and which im using for a motor and then I have the 5kVa transformer for the controls equipment. The customer has already review the schematics and recomends I use a Surge Protector/Filter in addition to the 5kVa transformer. Now it's not an isolation transformer which is an additional barrier of protection but a distribution.

So... Check and Check but still need a surge protector/filter.

Thanks.

The customer has already review the schematics and recomends I use a Surge Protector/Filter in addition to the 5kVa transformer.
What a transformer does, what voltage regulation is required, and what a surge protector does are three completely different parameters requiring completely different solutions.

First understand each problem before trying to solve it. And view each only with numbers. Subjective conclusions from presented subjective facts (other than the 480 volt number) only results in wild speculation and ineffective solutions.