Inter-device comms for Red Lion

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Has anyone here done inter-device communication with Red Lion DataStation Plus units ?

I have an application where I may be putting a DSPLE at sixteen different locations, connected to a local RS-485 link. Despite being RS-485, it's a custom point-to-point protocol and is best handled by the shortest possible cable.

But then I have to get that data into an SLC-5/05 controller, and pointing sixteen DSP's at that SLC-5/05 is going to eat up TCP connections in a hurry.

If I used one DSP as a "master" to seven others, then as a "slave" to the SLC-5/05, I could use just two TCP connections to the SLC-5/05.

But how would I get data between the Red Lions ? I don't think there is a "global data" protocol that allows me to reference blocks or tags inside other units.

I think the answer is probably "get out some graph paper and start making Modbus maps", but I figure I'd ask.

Does the OPC TCP/IP Master work with multiple redlion HMIs/datastations? I've only used it to move tag values between 2 HMIs, but I was under the impression it could handle multiple units.

It may depend on how much data you plan to move.

I've done this with five DSP's as Modbus/TCP Slaves talking with a G310 as the Modbus/TCP Master. The application only interfaced something like 6 words or less from each DSP.

The G310 is connected to an S7-226 over Ethernet; as well as talking Modbus/TCP to a handful of WebRelays.

Thanks for the input !

I think I've come up with a better architectures; I'll use a DSPSX with a XCRS serial expansion modules, to allow me to connect to two slave devices per DSP.

The system has an SLC-5/05 Series C L553 controller, so it turns out I've got up to 60 incoming TCP connections available. No problem, since now I'm down to nine DSP's.

Tune in next week when I go back in time to teach the firmware authors the difference between "first" and "most significant" bits.

Here's what the red lion tech support send to me when I asked a simliar question:

http://www.redlion.net/sites/default/files/1299/7109/Crimson 3.0 - Using the OPC Master Driver.pdf

it's a bit confusing on their website. The "300 protocol" pdf sheet shows all the new protocol that the Graphite Edge controller supports, but Data Station doesn't support all those.

I also don't much like the layout of Crimson. For protocol conversion, the listing of the points are nested on the organizer instead of a table format in the center. This makes for big scale editing a challenge.