Controlling a Load - PF525

Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if any of you have ever tried to control a load using the internal 24VDC on a Powerflex 525. In an application I've been working on, I need to command a solenoid to open when the VFD is told to run. Essentially it's for water on a vacuum pump. There are three such VFDs to control.

As they currently exist, these VFDs are installed in remote cabinets and controlled by Ethernet/IP. As such, there is currently no 24VDC supply in their respective cabinets. We were hoping that we might be able to use the drive's internal 24VDC supply to power the small solenoid through the R1 dry contacts. It appears that the relay has been setup properly, and the solenoid is definitely wired properly, but we get F111 faults when we try to run a drive; they work fine without the solenoid installed and the R1 will operate as intended. I'm wondering if the safety chain detects a small drop in voltage due to the inrush to the load and causes a fault.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried to control a light load using the drive's internal 24VDC supply? Is it possible, or is there something I'm missing?
Thanks!

I wouldn't do this. I don't know what the permitted load on that 24VDC coming from the drive is but it is meant for control power for pushbuttons and 4-20ma (so at least 20mA lol) and I would never expect to be able to do anything substantial with it. What is the current rating of the solenoid?

Can you get a 120VAC solenoid in your vacuum pump and use the dry contact from the drive for that? Or at least a diode across the solenoid contacts to prevent voltage spikes?

Last edited:
According to the manual the maximum load on the 24 Volt control power supply (terminal 11) is 100 mA. I bet you are pulling down the 24 Volt to the point where you lose any of your inputs, hence the F111 fault.

I wouldn't use it to pull in a relay, but we ofter use the internal 24 VDC to power a 4 - 20 control loop.
Really handy when you want a stand alone drive to control pressure etc.