Something Odd for a Monday Morning

I got it!!!!
All good suggestions.
My pic explains it all. I did the original project and configured all the PLC slots used in the HMI applications with the appropriate amount of input or output words. The analog card was added after the fact so, I had not updated the slot configuration to reflect the newly added analog card in slot 1. I didn't even notice at the time that it had a negative impact on another part of the HMI program.

Now it works marvelously!

Thanks for the interest and suggestions!

slot_config.jpg

It sounds to me like a bug in the Panelview.

I suspect it is doing something like:
"Well I want I:1.0 and I:2, so I will make one instruction and ask for I:1.0 for 2 words"

When you only had Digital IO, you were only asking for the I:2, the Panelview didn't try to cram them into one message and it didn't get confused.

Stick I:2 in a numeric input and see if he matches I:1.1 or something.

edit: ah, you have to set the IO config in CCW! excellent info and explains how the Panelview did what I suggested but by proper design.

I am not sure if there is a way for any HMI to know the size of I files without you having to tell it, while still making use of a compacted message.

Last edited:
edit: ah, you have to set the IO config in CCW! excellent info and explains how the Panelview did what I suggested but by proper design.

Yeah I just missed it.. I'm used to using this PV with the Micro controllers so there is no need to configure any slots or basically anything further than an IP address and the tag name. This is one of 2 identical machines I have set up with the PV800 and a SLC5/05.

I just wanted to Slot this in...

Late to the party but here's my tuppence worth...

PLC Pie Guy said:
...I did the original project and configured all the PLC slots used in the HMI applications with the appropriate amount of input or output words. The analog card was added after the fact so, I had not updated the slot configuration to reflect the newly added analog card in slot 1. I didn't even notice at the time that it had a negative impact on another part of the HMI program...I'm used to using this PV with the Micro controllers so there is no need to configure any slots...

58695 - PanelView Component/PanelView 800: Addressing SLC Input/Output Files
Access Level: Everyone

Because these PanelView terminals are not natively designed to connect and communicate with SLC/MicroLogix controllers, of which use a Slot based I/O addressing system, there is no automatic "I/O Read Config" feature in CCW. Instead, the Slot Configuration is provided in CCW to facilitate manual I/O Configuration for these type controller. Of course, and as we have now figured out, any lack of or incorrect modifications to this I/O Configuration, where there has been a change in the hardware i.e. addition or removal, then there may be unexpected overlapping or gapping of I/O addressing.

When validating the project, you may receive specific warning messages for tags that have not yet been properly defined at the hardware level. This is another small quick step guide to implementing Slot Configuration in CCW where a tag has thrown a warning message...

56427 - PanelView Component communications with SLC results in Tag has unknown address

Although I'm sure it's quite clear from the above, I'll state it anyway - These CCW based PanelView terminals (Component/800) do facilitate direct I/O addressing with SLC/MicroLogix controllers and do not normally require mapping to other internal intermediate addresses.

However, for the MicroLogix controllers with expansion I/O modules, it does get trickier. When direct addressing the expansion I/O modules in CCW, they are assigned particular slot addressing which is offset by one from what would be the expected slot address while looking at the I/O Data File tables in RSLogix 500 software. To make life a little simpler, or things a little clearer, they do recommend mapping the I/O addressing here so it may make more sense in the CCW project. I won't get into all that here as this thread deals specifically with a CCW based PanelView terminal and an SLC controller. But just as a general "watch out for", or "gotcha", you can read more here...

67770 - Connecting PanelView Component/PanelView 800 to a MicroLogix 1400 Controller Expansion I/O

Regards,
George