Step 9? Is there a new Siemens Software coming out?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was speaking to a contractor today who reckons Siemens are working on some new software for programming 300 series PLC's. I wondered if he was getting confused with WinCC or something as he was a bit vague but seemed adamant that it was new PLC software...

Anyone heard of Step 8 or Step 9 or some new Siemens stuff in development??

It would make some sense as it would bring them up to date and presumably any new software would be Vista compatible...?

:rolleyes:

Yes that is correct. There is a new version of Step7 currently being developed. As to whats is called I dont know. My good friends at Siemens have informed me that its a completely different architecture. Adapting the Rockwell Approach in tag based addressed rather than addressed based.

Exciting times to come!!!!

Step9

Never heard of any mention of Step 9 but I heard they are releasing a very powerful PLC programming package at the end of this year. Phasebuilder i believe its called

Do you mean this software:
http://phasebuilder.com/index.php?area=home ?
It looks like something for the proces industry.

I cannot imagine that Siemens would launch a strategic new concept unless they own it completely. The ownership of that company cannot be found on their website.
Is it a branch of this company maybe
http://www.logicon.ie/index.php?area=home ?
Also no info about ownership.

edit:
logicon seems to work with all these systems:
PLCs (Siemens, Allen-Bradley, Mitsubishi, Omron, GE Fanuc)
SCADA (Intouch, WinCC, RSView, iFix, Intellution)
Operator Panels (Siemens, PanelView, E-terminals)

Does not sound like it is Siemens-specific.

Last edited:
MorphuisOGrady said:
Yes that is correct. There is a new version of Step7 currently being developed. As to whats is called I dont know. My good friends at Siemens have informed me that its a completely different architecture. Adapting the Rockwell Approach in tag based addressed rather than addressed based.

Exciting times to come!!!!
Great...... More chit to learn....... Lol

An interesting question ...Simatic S5 had been on the market for 14 years when S7 was released (1980-1994) so S7 has been on the market for 14 years this year .....coincidence? (cue Twilight Zone theme)

Hearings and conjectures from friends to friends to Siemens mismatch a reality.

Russian saying: One woman has told...

For the new software the new hardware maintenance, new controllers and peripheral systems is required.
(Speed7 from VIPA and CoDeSys?).

Siemens is not so silly that so to risk the business in a difficult economic situation.

This month it was planned to let release new
WinCC for VISTA.

Ahhh.... Siemens are good at making the old redundant.

They hike the price of the old stuff to submit you into buying the new.
I remember that a PG675 (dual Floppy programmer) was about £2,000
to buy new Then when the PG685 (with would you believe it a 10 meg HD!) was introduced at approx. £2,400 the 675 went to £3,000 +.
I think they also hiked up the price of the S5 components as well when S7 came out.

There's been some discussion about this on one of the German forums. According to some there who claim to be in the know, the release of S9 is due about the end of this year.

How much is conjecture and how much solid info is hard to judge, but the claim by one contributor that there would be no STL caused a bit of a stir!

For those who can read German, you can read all about it here .

RMA said:
There's been some discussion about this on one of the German forums. According to some there who claim to be in the know, the release of S9 is due about the end of this year.

How much is conjecture and how much solid info is hard to judge, but the claim by one contributor that there would be no STL caused a bit of a stir!

For those who can read German, you can read all about it here .

STL is out?? That can't be!
Do you know if owners of the current Step7 software with the Software Update contract qualify for the upgrade?

RMA said:

A sad day in history if that would be true.......