advice ?

galkauskis

any advice on relatively simple PLC? I need exact model
The main requirements are:
Inputs: 20 standard 24V d.c. digital inputs.
Outputs: 12 operating mainly indicators, 24V d.c. solenoid valves and a couple of 24V d.c. solid-state relays.
Auxiliary: A Profibus network interface to receive control signals from the main PLC.
Speed: This part of the system does not require a particularly high-speed response.

Any additional modules required?

S7 1200 is probably the best for your spec if you go on the Siemens website they have a configurator that helps you choose

The only thing I am good at is advice, please keep in mind its free :) ....

I would look at the Siemens 1200 series

this CPU https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/us/Catalog/Product/6ES72151AG400XB0

And this Profibus mod
https://mall.industry.siemens.com/mall/en/us/Catalog/Product/6GK72425DX300XE0

You may also need a plugin module for the I/O if the 1215 does not have enough

Best of luck and welcome to the site

I have another situation :

The main requirements are:

Inputs: 120 standard 24V d.c. digital inputs
Six 4-20mA analogue inputs
Outputs: 38 standard relay type outputs
Eight high-speed transistor outputs
Two 4-20mA analogue outputs
Auxiliary: A Profibus network interface to send control signals to the PLCs controlling the bottle wash
plant and the pick-and-place robot.
Speed: This will need to be a relatively high performance PLC as the fill section requires a maximum
response time of less than 25ms and the program length is likely to be around 2,500 instructions.

Thanks

Now l am wiser thanks Geoff.
For other numskulls like me who aren't up with it a quote from another forum, thanks to Ken Roach.

It's just a matter of which protocols are championed by the market leaders in their area. Profibus has deep ties to Siemens, and the risks of integrating Profibus directly into their controllers outweighs the technical and market penetration benefits.

Even though Profibus is in theory an independent technology not controlled by Siemens, they still control the source of good interface chips. What if they restricted Rockwell from buying them ? What if they asserted a patent, even without good grounds to do so ? It's happened before (the Solaia/Schneider affair).

And at the product level, Rockwell's never going to have easy, smooth, simple integration with Profibus like Siemens does. So offering Profibus integrated into their controllers pretty much would start out with "Siemens does this better than we do".

There's also a matter of competitive differentiation. Rockwell had ControlNet and DeviceNet and EtherNet/IP, and promotes those in competition with Profibus and ProfiNet. To adopt Profibus wholeheartedly would give up a major competitive differentiator in which they'd invested many years and many dollars.

I have a Hilscher NT100 bridge on my desk between EtherNet/IP and Profibus DP. I'm not sure that a built-in Profibus DP scanner in the ControlLogix would be a lot easier to use, if it existed.

Last edited:
Just because this site is US & most members are American does not mean it has to be RSL (AB) it is called PLCS not PLCCLX. lol
To be honest, the amount of problems I see on here about CLX, versions, Tech connect problems, cost etc. I'm surprised anybody is using it.🔨
Sorry..... I'm anti AB/RW due to a run in with them & their strong arm tactics regarding supply & support so junked them years ago.

The OP has specified two plcs connected via Profibus + a pick and place robot interfaced via profibus.

I would consider using one plc with remote I/O being used instead of the low spec plc and keep all the programming in one place.