Newbie looking for help/advice on my home brewery project

waddo10

Just joined the site and wanted to say hello.

A lot of googling has sent me to this site multiple times in my quest to learn about PLCs and mainly RSLogix 5000 to automate my home brewery. Its only small scale and i am using decommissioned equipment from my work.

Working in oil/gas has given me an interest in PLCs and automation so wanted to try my hand at it. Got to admit i am struggling a bit and hoping some kind soul could help me/point me in the right direction as to how to automate my brewery.

If anyone has worked on an automated brewery before i would much appreciate speaking with you and maybe even viewing the code they have written.

Many thanks,
Brad 🍻

I dont see why not. Many large scale breweries have used it. Rockwell have a program dedicated to doing such a thing (craft brew).

Many companies do not like to release their own code & learning from what could be quite complex code is not the way to go. What is your experience with PLC's to date, If you have little experience in CLX then start at the beginning, learn the structure of the system, Learn the basics like configuration, types of tags, types of timer/counters and other functions. Learn how to create AOI's etc. If you have some particular routines you wish to achieve post them. What have you got regarding PLC hardware have you got an HMI etc. it makes a difference. Processes like brewing, food manufacture etc. often need some sort of visual interface. recipe handling and so on.

Before you get to far in to this do you have access to programming software for the hardware you have? If not, you may have more cost in purchasing the software than all of your other equipment alone.

NiU79bi

https://imgur.com/NiU79bi

Ive attached a image of what i am wanting to achieve.

I am a total beginner. I did a college unit on PLCs which was focused mainly of the therory side of things with some practical exercises on an awful training software. Also purchased a couple of training packages from the automation school to get me going.

Hardware wise i have a panelview screen and the PLC has the controller, ethernet, 2 dig in, 2 dig out, 2 ana in and 2 ana out.

My work have gave me full access to the rockwell software through the asset centre.

Last edited:
Ah. At last, your description is pretty good although people here have many different ideas on how to do a sequence, one of the best ways is to use a sequencer Not really looked closely at the sequence but this may be done two ways, one sequencer or 3 one for each tank this needs a closer look. This is probably best done by using a word sequencer so for example:
At start of process set the sequencer word to say 20 (leave a few for adding extra steps)
so a value of 20 is first stage HLT > 20%
Step on to 40 for heating.
at 90% step on 60 (low heat)
At SP Step on to 70 maintain SP.
and so on.....
To be honest you do not need to step on during the heating & maintain process as it runs in parallel.
You just create a block of code that manages the heating and call it with compares for the seq number
For example:
if Seq word is => 40 AND Seq Word =< 70 call heating block.
Using this method you can skip steps, go back steps etc.
I do not have CLX so cannot show you any code, I'm sure there are many here that can. I will look at some of my old projects that were for manufacturing sauces & probably print off some of the code in another PLC type to give you some ideas. But first I suggest you get used to getting code sorted for your analogue levels & temperatures using the standard blocks i.e. scaling etc. One good way if you do not have the I/O and want to simulate is to map all the inputs, outputs & analogues to internal tags i.e. Bits & words in program blocks but not call them, then use the mapped bits/words in the program, you then can write some code in blocks to simulate the real world.
These can be deleted and the mapped ones called once you intend to go live.

@parky I did have a look at sequencers on youtube but seeing how i don't have the basics down yet i figured i would ask and see if there is a different way. Is a word sequencer the same as 'structured text"? It does sound like a very good idea. Sounds similar to "batch logic" which we use on our very old DCS at work.

@drbitboy Thanks for the link

No it's not ST, ST is just the type of language you use. most PLC's can be programmed in LAD STL FBD or ST and any combination. for example you can program one block in LAD and another in ST. Sequence is just a way of stepping through you could use bits like a drum sequencer but difficult to force forward or back. What most PLC's do is compile any of the blocks (LAD, ST, FBD) into the same or similar code for the interpreter to run. I still tend to use FBD as many site engineers can understand it better.
Sometimes ST is better as maths is easier to understand but you can do the same in LAD and if your very experienced it's just as easy and more visual in my opinion.
One other advantage of using a word sequencer if you have an HMI is that many HMI's have text lists that display a text based on the value of a register.
So...
If you have a Sequence word on some HMI's you drop a multi text field on the screen, populate the fields like:

10 Process Starting
20 Adding Water
30 Adding Milk
35 Mixing
and so on
This means that what ever value is in the sequence word displays the appropriate message. Often used in Scada systems where this information is held in a database I suppose you could call it a lookup table.
The sequence is very powerful an example:
You have recipes stored on an HMI, you load the recipe that contains maybe hundreds of words into the plc memory lets say registers 1 to 500
each recipe phase has 10 registers these contain info on any type of process
so
Reg 1 is type of sequence. i.e. 0 = no Addition 1 = Water 2 = powder 3 = manual addition
Reg 2 = the addition value
Reg 3 = heating type 0 = no heating 1 = heating
Reg 4 = Blender required Yes/No 0 or 1
Reg 5 = Mix time
Reg 6 = Heating time
and so on
when you set your sequence word to say 10 it compares the recipe reg 1 and if it = water you set the seq. word to 100
The program block for water is called for seq. values between 100 and 199
it runs the code in the block while Seq. is => 100 AND =< 199
The water block then increments the seq. word in steps to do what it needs to do i.e. Sets Seq. to 110 open the main & trickle valves.
When it detects the water addition is within 10% of set point then it steps on to 120, this closes the main valve but keeps the trickle valve open when the water reaches the recipe value it steps the sequence on to say 130 heating
You could use a main sequence and each addition block has a sub sequence if you wanted.
Anyway, at the point that the addition is complete, it forces the seq. word to say 1000, this makes the main program to run a sequence that increments the recipe block to the next stage and forces the seq. back to 100.
This repeats until end of recipe is detected in which case it moves onto last sequence i.e. discharge.
Here is part of a similar process, unfortunately it was converted to a later version of the IDE and has lost some comments.
Just looked at your pic & it does not quite make sense, you have moved batch to BK but then run Temp control on HLT ? and you state maintain HLT & MT but MT does not have heaters am I missing something.

Last edited:
That is brilliant and very informative. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. Maybe it isn't going to be so daunting after all. Should hopefully be able to start putting something together this week.

PJDjrgp.jpg

This is my set up. SLC 5/04, thermocouple card, controls 5500 watt water heater elements with a SSR.

Are you a home brewer? If not learning how to brew takes much more time and effort than building an automated home brewery. I brewed for years starting stove top extract, then to a turkey fryer all grain, then to where I am today. Funny part is I haven’t brewed in a few years because of kids, but just this week I finished up my new garage and I’ve stripped my panel and starting to rebuild everything. Hopefully I’ll be brewing again in a month or so.

Home brew talk has a huge part of their forum dedicated to electric brewing. Not many PLC guys on there, but lots of stand-alone PID and microcontrollers.

I’m actually debating on ditching the SLC and going all cloud controlled. Less hardware, my problem is a SLC chassis is huge for just a hand full of IO.

I am a home brewer yes. Got a few brews under my belt so far. I started with and still use my electric brewery setup. Most home brew automation talk is mainly about Arduino or Pi control systems. Would have probably gone down that route had i not got this redundant equipment and an interest in PLCs.