Simple Logix5000 Controller question

darwil93

So I'm new to the PLC world and just wanting to get some general knowledge. Just a curious question...
How many controllers are in the Logix5000 family?

The two main platforms are CompactLogix and ControlLogix. There are many part numbers within each platform over a few generations. Typically, the part numbers in each family are offering more memory, safety and/or motion support.

Oh I See. So there are just so many part numbers in both families, it would prove pretty difficult to quantify how many there are.

Oh I See. So there are just so many part numbers in both families, it would prove pretty difficult to quantify how many there are.

So the current state of the art for CompactLogix is the 5380 series:

https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/CompactLogix-5380-Controllers#selection

ControlLogix state of the art, 5580:

https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/ControlLogix/5580-Controllers#selection

...there is a 5370 and 5570 series that is still active, you get the idea.

In the 5380 series, for example, you have the basic options of standard controller (no motion or safety), a motion enabled controller, a safety controller and a safety/motion controller. Then you have a memory size for each. Ends up being a lot of part numbers.

So the quantites you want depend on how granular you want to get with the defination of controller. If you consider each part number a different controller, there are a lot. If you consider the platforms, there are 2 (CompactLogix/ControlLogix). If you don't consider memory size, there are many fewer. You could consider the product families (5370, 5380, 5480, 5550, 5560, 5570, 5580),

Simple questions don't always have simple answers.

We haven't mentioned controllers that are no longer being sold. They may exist out in the field, but you can't buy them any more. Do we count those too? So if I said there are 82 controllers, would that be useful? Probably not.

As dmroeder mentioned there are variations on each model. For example, the Controllogix 5570 consists of the L71, L72, L73, L74, and L75. The only difference is memory size. Oh, and then you have safety versions of those too. Some modules may have options for conformal coating. Same modules, just has a coating applied. That would add nine more to the total for just the 5570 series.

The number of controllers isn't really much of a measuring stick. What really matters is whether there is a controller platform that has what you need.

btw, I just pulled 82 controllers out of the air.

OG

OG, I think I see what you're saying. So to your point. If it would be better to ask for instance, How many base models--subtracting all the variations of memory sizes and even safety versions--are in the Controllogix 5570 family? Keep in mind holding you to anything in the way of accurate, real numbers. I know you were just giving an example. Based off of your calculations, would the answer be 1 base model? Or would it more likely be 14, due to the fact of you showing at least 14 obvious variations either between memory or safety or different coating?

Maybe talk to your local Rockwell representative or distributor in area. They would be glad to talk with you and get you up to speed on their product line. They might even have a lunch and learn for you to attend that would go over basics. Or maybe a lab at the distributor so that you can get your hands on equipment. I think they have that Rockwell road show that goes around so maybe that is an additional avenue.

So the current state of the art for CompactLogix is the 5380 series:

https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/CompactLogix-5380-Controllers#selection

ControlLogix state of the art, 5580:

https://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Programmable-Controllers/ControlLogix/5580-Controllers#selection

...there is a 5370 and 5570 series that is still active, you get the idea.

Do you think that the L8 series is a successor to the L7 series, or is it a parallel run as my local distributors are advertising it to be?

Not Rockwell if not complicated.

Maybe talk to your local Rockwell representative or distributor in area. They would be glad to talk with you and get you up to speed on their product line. They might even have a lunch and learn for you to attend that would go over basics. Or maybe a lab at the distributor so that you can get your hands on equipment. I think they have that Rockwell road show that goes around so maybe that is an additional avenue.

Have you had stellar luck with this? I've always had to do so much extra work to get the unbiased in-depth information.