GE/Emerson RX3i question

jcraft

Hi all,

So currently we have had GE equipment in our facility and we typical use Proficy Machine Edition 9.5 to commmunicate with our machine plc's. We have anew machine being built and now that Emerson has taken over their machine is using the RX3i plc but they are programming with Emersons PAC machine edition 9.8. I was going to have our existing ME license upgraded to PAC machine and I heard that this new PAC software will still work to connect and communicate with the older machines running ME. CAn anyone confirm this is the case and if it is, what do we have to do on the older machines. Do we have to install the PAC software on all these machines and bring the older projects into them or do we just continue to use the ME software loaded on these older machines with the new lisence. Thx

I expect the upgrade to 9.8 will be just like previous upgrades. Newest version will be able to open and edit projects created with earlier versions. Once the project has been saved with the new version earlier versions won't be able to open it.
But, since I'm retired now and not actively involved with either GE or Emerson, I'd suggest you get confirmation from your distributor

I expect the upgrade to 9.8 will be just like previous upgrades. Newest version will be able to open and edit projects created with earlier versions. Once the project has been saved with the new version earlier versions won't be able to open it.
But, since I'm retired now and not actively involved with either GE or Emerson, I'd suggest you get confirmation from your distributor

Yes, this is correct.
Make sure you update to Latest SIM (like a service pack) after you install the new ME software and before you connect to the PLC for download. Other wise you will have to repeat the download after installing new SIM.
Some modules may have new enhancements, so it usually requires a stop of the CPU, then a new upload of the configuration also.

The only way you can go back is if you connect to PLC with earlier version software and download again. This includes re-download of configuration.
But you really never want to go backwards.