PowerFlex 753 or PowerFlex 755 position control with 3rd party servo motors

Asefakaratas

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to position with third-party servo motors using PF 753 or PF 755 AC drives? I know torque and speed control are possible for 753 drives. But I'm not sure for position control.

I'm waiting for your answers.

Thanks in advance.

The PowerFlex 755 can be run as a "position controller" but you need to carefully select and tune the motor and encoder. Those drives support induction, permanent-magnet, and synchronous reluctance type motors.

You are correct that the PowerFlex 753 does not support positioning or CIP Motion.

At a minimum, you should read and understand the Tuning and Programming manuals.

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/at/drives-at004_-en-p.pdf

https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/750-pm001_-en-p.pdf

Ideally, you should consult with a Rockwell Automation field office to help you select the appropriate drive and motor.

Yes, 755 can operate a servo, but it would likely cost you more than a servo controller, so the only reason to do it would be if you had multiple non-servo drives and one motion axis, so you just want to keep them all the same.

No on the 753 though.