Software for designing sequences

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a uni project to develop a traffic light sequencer for a 4 way junction (with filter lights and pedestrian crossings...). Is there any software that aids with drawing sequential flow charts? I have used Microsoft Visio before but find it slow and clunky, have also used FlowBreeze addon for Excel but found it a bit too basic.

Any suggestions?

I started using Lucid Chart recently. Online, it does have an offline version with restricted functionality. With the free version, you can have up to 3 documents, think I will pay for a subscription though.

+1 on Lucidchart but you can also do quite a bit with draw.io and it won't cost you anything.

I typically just use Excel to draw sequences, boarders make boxes and formulas can aid in the supplemental documentation.

+1 on Lucidchart but you can also do quite a bit with draw.io and it won't cost you anything.

I typically just use Excel to draw sequences, boarders make boxes and formulas can aid in the supplemental documentation.

+1 for Excel, don't forget it has all the flowchart "Shapes" already made for you

2019-10-07_142348.jpg

I like Dia a lot. works pretty decent although it's not being updated for a long time as far as I can see. supports a lot of different types of diagrams including SFC. Has good vector export formats for documentation purposes

Why wouldn't you directly use a Sequential Flow Chart editor from IEC 61131-3 tools, such as CODESYS?
Furthermore, a UML state chart could be another good option.
Both tools allow for direct code generation - thus, in case the flow chart is what you expect, you can directly use it on the PLC.

Regards, Roland :)

Welcome to the forum Roland!

Well, back to my original scope, the program had to be written in National Instruments LookOut 'SCADA'.

Now I'm doing more flow charts of business plans, network architecture, etc.

Not every flow chart equals SFC destined for a PLC, but thanks for the advice if I ever venture down the CODESYS route.

You are of course right - Flow Chart and SFC are not the same. However, as mentioned, in case the Flow Chart is used to document a PLC work flow, then SFC could be a real benefit.
if I ever venture down the CODESYS route
I will be pleased to help you :)

Thanks. Might slightly 'derail' the thread but hey, I started it so...

I was looking into CODESYS using the Wago brand because a) my main supplier stocks them and b) I read you can program in Python, which ties in nicely to my systems as I do Ignition SCADA.

I searched a bit on the Wago site and wasn't quite sure what programming software option I would need etc

Have you any experience with Wago?

...b) I read you can program in Python, which ties in nicely to my systems as I do Ignition SCADA.

Never heard this. You can program with the "Wago" version of Codesys or the vanilla Codesys. It's all IEC 61131-3.

You might be mistaken for some people that have gotten Wago IO to work on an Raspberry Pi, and python was used in the rPi to activate an IO point.